Community Advisory Board
New York Public Radio's Community Advisory Board (CAB)
Welcome to New York Public Radio’s Community Advisory Board!
We’re a volunteer-powered advisory group of radio lovers supporting the future of New York Public Radio.
Be heard! Our town hall-style meetings are a rare chance to share feedback that gets funneled directly to the station and speak with those reporting stories, expanding digitally, and driving fundraising.
Our Mission: We Listen to Those Who Listen.
Our mission: advise NYPR of what the listenership is thinking and feeling.
We are the only in-person forum to share feedback with the stations.
We do not exercise control over management or policy and can’t make statements on behalf of NYPR. We listen.
About the CAB
- Meetings are town hall-style — part conversation with a guest, part feedback session.
- We’re 25 volunteers, representing different boroughs, backgrounds, ages, and professions.
- Each CAB term is 3 years.
- We meet monthly with the exception of July, August, December, and February.
*The CAB, as required by federal law, reviews the programming goals established by the station, the service provided by WNYC and WQXR, and the significant policy decisions rendered by the station, and assesses whether the programming and other policies of the station are meeting the specialized educational and cultural needs of the communities served by the station. The CAB deliberates independently of station management and New York Public Radio's Board of Trustees, determining its own agenda and electing its own leadership. The CAB is an advisory body only, and is not authorized to exercise any control over WNYC and WQXR's daily management or operations. The CAB conveys its findings and recommendations based on public input to the Board of Trustees.
CAB 2020-2021 Calendar
For the interim, CAB public forum meetings will be conducted virtually. Please visit the CAB Facebook page for access details.
October 28, 2020
Featuring Audrey Cooper, WNYC Editor-in-Chief
The CAB 2020 - 2021
- Nancy Walcott, elected as Chair June 2019, appointed to CAB June 2015
- Marlene Birnbaum, elected as Vice Chair 2020 appointed to CAB June 2017
- Emily Hacker, elected as Vice Chair 2020 appointed to CAB June 2019
- Sinduja Srinivasan, elected as Vice Chair 2020 appointed to CAB June 2019
- Alex Hu, elected Vice Chair 2020, appointed to CAB July 2018
- Kathryn Tornelli, elected as Secretary 2020, former Vice Chair, appointed to CAB June 2016
Members:Liz Buffa, appointed June 2016
David Boyd Booker, appointed June 2020
Carole Chervin, appointed June 2015
Grace Clarke, former Secretary former Vice Chair, Appointed June 2015
Julia D. Fields, appointed June 2018
Lauren Filler, appointed June 2019
Stan Ince, appointed June 2016
Erica Johnson, former Vice Chair, appointed to CAB June 2017
Hani Khalil, appointed June 2020
Jane Tillman Irving, appointed June 2018
Marie Nachsin, appointed June 2019
Lisa Nearier, former Vice Chair, appointed to CAB June 2016
Natalie Nevarez, appointed June 2020
Maggie Stapleton, appointed June 2019
Jacob (Jake) Wojnas, former Vice-Chair, appointed June 2015
Board of Trustees’ CAB Liaison:
- Timothy Wilkens
Recent CAB Minutes:
December 2013 - no CAB meeting
December 2012 - no CAB meeting