CAB SUMMARY REPORT: MAY 2015
CAB meeting on May 18 at the Society for Ethical Culture:
- This meeting was designed to help the CAB discuss its mission and goals for the next year. It was the only meeting of the year without an outside speaker.
- Lue Ann Eldar introduced the selection of 6 new candidates for the 2015-18 CAB out of 18 applicants. The names and biographies of the candidates will be presented to the Board of Trustees on June 24.
- Public commentary came from an individual with two concerns:
o He felt the current spring fund-raiser was excessive. The Chair responded that in previous discussions, NYPR management had explained that the fund-raisers were very effective at generating donations and could not easily be replaced. The WQXR fund-free stream was also explained. It was suggested that a 2015-16 CAB meeting be devoted to a discussion about fund-raisers. It was also suggested that listeners might be less bothered if the goals of the fund-raisers (financial or other) were more clearly explained.
o He commented that his reception for WQXR was weak even in Manhattan and asked about plans for upgraded broadcasting.
- Statements were presented for CAB officers for 2015-16, with voting to take place in June. Candidates include Lue Ann Eldar for Chair, Adam Wasserman for Co-Vice-Chair and Barbara Gerolimatos for Secretary.
- The discussion of future CAB goals included the following:
o A better-defined mission statement.
o The continued participation of Laura Walker at our opening meeting in September (happily this seems likely to take place).
o A thematic CAB meeting, for example specifically inviting teachers to attend as members of the public along with a guest speaker relevant to the theme.
o Finding topics relevant to NJ and Queens for next year’s non-Manhattan meetings.
o Expanding contacts with groups like the Center for Communication to encourage public participation.
o Enhancing our web page with photos or sound bites to encourage attendance.
o Devoting a meeting to Radio Rookies or other younger, less-established radio personnel.