Coming up on today's show:
- The Republican National Convention (RNC) is underway in Cleveland, Ohio. Takeaway Washington Correspondent Todd Zwillich is on the ground and tours the RNC site to see how it stacks up to past conventions.
- The state of Pennsylvania sent 54 unbound Republican delegates to the GOP convention — these delegates can vote any way they want at the RNC, despite voter preferences. The Takeaway catches up with Lee Snover, an unbound pro-Trump delegate, to see how things are shaping up.
- After an African-American military veteran targeted police in Baton Rouge, some are raising questions about the military’s role in the gun control conversation in America, and whether those who are most experienced with guns are always in the best condition to remain firearm owners after they return home. Chris Marvin, a retired U.S. Army Black Hawk pilot, weighs in.
- Today, the Virginia Supreme Court will meet to hear a case brought by Republican lawmakers that challenges an executive order signed by Governor Terry McAuliffe. The order restores voting rights for more than 200,000 felons who have completed their sentences. Sandy Hausman, Charlottesville bureau chief for public radio station WVTF, has the details.
- Asli Aydintasbas, a journalist living in Istanbul and a visiting fellow at the European Council on Foreign Relations, explains what's happening on the streets of Istanbul and Ankara following last weekend's failed military coup.
- During the coup attempt in Turkey last week, Turkish authorities cut power to the base that houses NATO’s largest nuclear arsenal. As the country’s stability seems less and less certain, how safe are these nuclear weapons? For answers, we turn to Eric Schlosser, author of "Command and Control: Nuclear Weapons, the Damascus Accident, and the Illusion of Safety."
- How does the aesthetic of the 2016 convention compare to earlier years? Jim Fenhagen designed the 2012 Republican National Convention set, and is in Cleveland working on the design for The Daily Show's RNC set. He brings us the latest on the look and design of this year’s gathering.