Here's The Thing (Mary Ellen Matthews)

Episode #54

Kristen Wiig and Dick Cavett

« previous episode | next episode »

Monday, November 11, 2013

Alec talks with Kristen Wiig – a breakout Saturday Night Live cast member who says she loves performing, but admits there’s also a “big part of me that’s just like: don’t look at me.” Alec also visits with talk show legend Dick Cavett at his home in Montauk, Long Island. Over iced tea, Cavett shares memories from five decades in entertainment.

I found both of these interviews to be really entertaining. I have to admit that Kristen Wiig's characters on SNL haven't been my favorites, but boy is she likeable in this interview. As far as Mr. Cavett, what can one say? The man is a show business legend and I could listen to his stories all day. Great show as always.

Dec. 30 2013 05:59 PM
jonathan baltzer from nyc

Alex please be still and let the quests TALK!! jeeze talk to yourself at home if you must.. but your ego is just too loud and interupty"

Dec. 21 2013 03:01 PM
Collin from Portland, OR

I am a mature, proud gay man. I've also been known to lose my cool with hateful people. And, I'm ashamed to admit, I've also been known to throw the word "faggot" at people in anger. People that I know are not gay. Like I said, I'm not proud of this, but was raised with this word in my vocabulary as an insult, and sometimes everyone reverts to bad behavior and say things that they don't mean. I don't believe Mr. Baldwin to be a homophobe; I believe him to be someone who was raised in a certain place and time in which different language was used to make a point. I'm not excusing what he has said, but I am definitely willing to forgive it, because I don't think it had anything to do with gay people. I think he just lashed out in anger and is now sorry for what he did, just as we have all done.

Nov. 28 2013 08:47 PM
john haruch

Freaking Electric. This is what I've been waiting for....

Nov. 25 2013 02:06 PM
nick from clt nc

I think this show is produced very well. He askes questions and has a voice you want to hear. Keep it up Alec thank you!!!!

Nov. 24 2013 01:08 AM
charliecleanup from new york city

I really enjoy the show...his familiarity with the people that he is interviewing, if not the subject matter gives one an interesting peek under the hood that is different from the normal more "newsy" interviews..

I have read some of the other comments and think of something that Lenny Bruce once said that there are no bad words.. only bad intentions..

please keep doing these Namaste dude :-)

Nov. 23 2013 01:28 PM
martin perry

Does Alec Baldwin have anything to say?About as much as any other person, which does not qualify him for any sort of position in the mass media. His career as a performer is at best undistinguished but has managed through a well orchestrated PR campaign over many years to remain in the public eye while bemoaning the attention paid. As to his stint on WNYC, he continues his mediocre performance. Mr. Baldwin without a recognizable name to interview would be dead air.
The quality of such WNYC hosts Brian Lehrer, Leonard Lopate, John Schaefer and the national feed of hosts and programs from NPR is diminished by Mr. Baldwin's presence as a host. Clearly, Mr. Baldwin should be more at home on one of the more mainstream news networks, or is it that they have a higher standard to meet? Let Mr. Baldwin develop his skills elsewhere, perhaps college radio might be a fit. The premiere public radio station in the U.S. should not be his internship.

Nov. 18 2013 10:18 PM
jax from seattle, wa.

Mr. Baldwin is light years ahead of his time. He lives in an era of nauseating political correctness while he carries the torch of political 'incorrectness'. Kudos to he who recognizes the debacle of the 'Society of the Spectacle' we live in. Kudos to he for being expressive and passionate while the 'society' is quick to twist his protective yet misunderstood verbiage into their reactive comment daggers. Pathetic how bored and misinformed paparazzi and media contentedly go about their daily muck-raking. Alec Baldwin is an avatar for truth wrapped within truth. AND he makes us laugh from deep within out bellies. Bravo Alec!

Nov. 18 2013 02:23 PM
debra Solomon from nyc

I will be making my donations elsewhere until this show is taken off the air.
Baldwin is a homophobic blowhard who shouts others down - what the heck is he doing on WNYC?

Nov. 17 2013 12:24 PM
Paul from Texas

I like the show and I think he's a good interviewer. I'm sorry, but I don't care if in a moment of anger he uses words he wouldn't use in polite conversation. Most everyone who feels comfortable sitting in the judgement seat do the same thing. So please, keep it to yourself.

Nov. 17 2013 11:29 AM
Kevin from Los Angeles

People out of/never having been in the spotlight can’t conceive how tiring it is when you’re just wanting to go to the store, have ice cream with your kids, enjoy a nice restaurant meal etc., and the hounding PAPARAZZI won’t let you live your life in peace. Shame on the LOATHSOME BOTTOM FEEDERS who cross the line and have little respect for people’s personal space and private lives.

Nov. 17 2013 01:00 AM
Rachel from Park Slope

As a donor and member of WNYC I am appalled that he is still on the air. Even MSNBC has suspended him.

Nov. 16 2013 08:35 AM
Steve from Manhattan

Why is this clown on WNYC? Don't he make enough money? This is the best you can do? SHAME ON YOU!

Nov. 15 2013 10:14 PM
Dan

Any idea who the musical artist is around 42 min as Alec throws to an underwriting break?

Nov. 13 2013 02:56 PM