The Lehrer Prize for Community Well-Being
A Virtual Event and New York Public Radio Benefit
Took place on Wednesday, December 9, 2020
Click Here to Watch
We looked back on a notable year and celebrated the first honorees of the annual Lehrer Prize For Community Well-Being. This award aims to recognize a standout idea, individual, effort, or group that has contributed meaningfully in the past year to improving quality of life in New York City and nearby areas.
Click here for more information, to make a donation, or to pledge support.
The honorees for The Lehrer Prize for Community Well-Being
For their supreme work in community health
- H.E.A.L.T.H. 4 Youths who work to combat juvenile delinquency through programs and workshops on education, health care, and life-skills training throughout New York City.
- Girls; Live, Love, Laugh, Inc., helping girls ages 6-16 in Newark, New Jersey overcome obstacles through workshops on leadership, career development, education, bully prevention, civic engagement, and health and wellness.
- La Jornada, an organization that prepares and distributes meals for day laborers throughout Queens, and provides information on free health care, food pantries, and ESOL (English for Speakers of Other Languages) classes.
- Brian Lehrer in conversation with Chef José Andrés, whose non-profit World Central Kitchen uses the power of food to heal communities and strengthen economies in times of crisis and beyond.
- A special performance from violinist Kelly Hall-Tompkins with pianist Donna Weng Friedman.
- WQXR's Terrance McKnight, emceed the whole shebang.
Make a Donation
Donations can be made online, via mail, or over the phone.
- To make a donation online please click here.
- Call Molly Hindenburg at 646.829.4459 to make a donation over the phone.
- Mail a check made payable to New York Public Radio:
New York Public Radio Gala
160 Varick Street
New York, NY 10013
Attn: Molly Hindenburg
New York Public Radio’s mission is to make the mind more curious, the heart more open and the spirit more joyful through excellent audio programming that is deeply rooted in New York.
With an urban vibrancy and a global perspective, New York Public Radio produces innovative public radio programs, podcasts and live events that reach a passionate community of over 26 million people monthly on-air, online and in person.