Wednesday, August 21, 2013
Soundcheck is revisiting some of our favorite segments from the past year. Today, we're presenting a "Guitar Special," featuring a Rosie the Riveter guitar mystery and an iconic folk guitar master still going strong.
Plus: Veteran English folk singer and guitarist Richard Thompson performs songs from his latest album, Electric, and reveals a passion for birding and NHL hockey.
Monday, August 20, 2012
In a town with two football teams, local fans are divided. Turns out the same goes for the team owners and their politics.
Thursday, April 12, 2012
The NHL playoffs started last night, and for many of these professional athletes that means growing a "playoff beard." A tradition in hockey that goes back three decades, the playoff beard is for both players and fans who refuse to shave during the post-season. This superstition has spread to other professional sports as well, and got us wondering: what other superstitions do professional sports players have? And what superstitions do you have while watching your favorite team?
Monday, June 07, 2010
Winning his fifth French Open title, Rafael Nadal proved once again that the courts of Roland Garros belong to him. He defeated Robin Soderling, the same man who knocked him out last year. The Takeaway's sports contributor, Ibrahim Abdul-Matin has the details of the match. He also recaps last night's Game 5 of the NHL Stanley Cup Finals, and Game 2 of the NBA Finals.
Monday, May 24, 2010
- Washington Takeout: Congress could vote to repeal 'Don't Ask Don't Tell' this week. Washington correspondent, Todd Zwillich explains why Congress and the Pentagon are butting heads about whether now is the right time to make this change.
- Sports Takeout: Venus Williams won her opening match in The French Open, Ibrahim Abdul-Matin recaps the first day's matches. He also looks at the latest in the NHL's Stanley Cup Finals.
Thursday, May 06, 2010
- Turmoil in Greece: We get an update on the economic turmoil in Greece that has sparked social outrage and mass protests. The BBC's Malcolm Brabant describes the shock felt after the violent protests.
- Sports Takeout: Sports contributor Ibrahim Abdul-Matin, recaps last night's NHL playoff action, and previews tonight's games, as the San Jose Sharks go for the sweep and jugular of the Detroit Red Wings.
Thursday, April 29, 2010
Thirty-six year old Scott Walker has played all over the National Hockey League -- Vancouver, Nashville, Raleigh. This year, the journeyman arrived on the Washington Capitals. He hoped he'd get another appearance in the Stanley Cup playoffs, and he did. But his wife and kids stayed behind, and kept the car in Raleigh. So how does Walker get to work? Takes the DC Metro, it turns out.
Below, Walker describes his first ride. Turns out DC's distance-based fare system flummoxed him a bit. When he got off the train near Verizon Center, where the Caps play, he had it easy though -- just follow all the jersey-wearing fans and you'll find your way to work, buddy.
This story doesn't have a happy ending, though: the Capitals were eliminated last night by Montreal, ending one of the most-hyped and star-studded runs at the Stanley Cup. Walker, Alex Ovechkin and the rest of the Capitals have a hot DC summer to ride the train and think about what today is being called the "Capital Collapse."
Wednesday, April 28, 2010
- WASHINGTON TAKEOUT: Takeaway Washington Correspondent Todd Zwillich tells us why Washington lawmakers are ready to face-off against social networking giant Facebook and its Internet ambitions.
- SPORTS TAKEOUT: Ibrahim Abdul-Matin, Takeaway sports contributor, highlights the NHL playoffs as he recaps the game between the Detroit Red Wings and the Phoenix Coyotes, and previews game seven between the Montreal Canadiens and the Washington Capitals.
Wednesday, April 14, 2010
- PUBLISHING TAKEOUT: Patrik Henry Bass, Takeaway contributor and books editor for Essence, explains why celebrity biographer Kitty Kelley wants you to know that nobody can keep a secret. Not even Oprah Winfrey. These two women might be more similar than they appear.
- SPORTS TAKEOUT: Takeaway sports contributor, Ibrahim Abdul-Matin, previews the NHL's Stanley Cup Playoffs, which start Wednesday. He says, don't underestimate two-time defending MVP Alex Ovechkin and his Washington Capitals.