The science community had its share of ups and downs this year.
Mariette DiChristina’s Top 5 Science Stories Of 2016 (And How Here & Now Covered Them)
- Gravitational waves detected by Laser Interferometer Gravitational-wave Observatory (LIGO)
- Zika declared a public emergency
- CRISPR gene-editing used to treat a person for the first time
- Artificial intelligence program AlphaGo beats human at the ancient Chinese board game “Go”
- Efforts to fight climate change face setbacks (including concerns over President-elect Donald Trump’s pick to head the EPA, and what the new administration might mean for the Paris Agreement)
Copyright 2016 NPR. To see more, visit http://www.npr.org/.