Broadband Access for All?

Friday, February 21, 2014

Andrew Rasiej, founder of Personal Democracy Media, which focuses on the intersection of technology and politics, talks about increasing access to broadband Internet here in New York, and how it might be funded. Plus, Rasiej discusses the announcement that Google Fiber is expanding to more cities and explores the possibility of it coming to New York.

Andrew Rasiej
News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

Jennifer from NYC

Not if Comcast can help it.

Feb. 21 2014 02:25 PM

Lower priced universal broadband = yes! It should be a public utility & common carrier!

Wi-Fi - no thanks There's enough radiation from wiring & if you have children, turn it off when not in use.

See EU & Scandinavian studies on effects - not limited & out of date US studies.

Feb. 21 2014 12:11 PM
patricia from new jersey

I know in some European countries, wi-fi is not even allowed in some schools, due to the lack of reaearch showing how it affects the human brain, specifically childrens brains. Affordable broadband or universal broadband in some areas that need it seems like a viable idea, just like there is free busing to and from schools in some districs, but also some other utility companies could be a bit more generous in this sense(gas,electric,etc). For some families that home-school, there is free online education provided, but would be in-accessible if there were no internet access. Complete reliance on internet based education is not a well thought out direction for education in my opinion.

Feb. 21 2014 10:53 AM
jgarbuz from Queens

To Penny from Downtown

Like you and many others, I kept my land line for years also mistakenly thinking it would be more secure in cases of emergency, wasting $30 a month on it alone. That ended with Hurricane Sandy and the floods it brought. Everything went out including the phone. So then finally I switched to Magic Jack which works through a broadband connection. It costs me approximately $3.00 a month. So my TWC broadband and Magic Jack combined is $43 a month.

Feb. 21 2014 10:50 AM
alex from Brooklyn Heights

Unfortunately only just heard the last part of the discussion on Wi-Fi. I wanted to know where I could get Google Fiber .....sadly not in NYC.

I think I heard libraries mentioned and forgive me if you have already done a program on the closing of libraries. Andrew Carnegie, ruthless though he was must be turning in his grave at the already done deals and those in the works to close libraries .......with all kinds of subterfuge.

I live in Brooklyn Heights where we have a wonderful library and it's located at the axis of the N, R, 4, 5, 6, A and C subway lines. Anyone and everyone can get there. And just literally steps from the subway. And it also has a tremendously helpful Business Library there .......right in the center of Downtown Brooklyn business center. The plan is to put the Business Library in the branch at Grand Army Plaza - which is NOT easy to access. I don't know if it is a fait accompli but the library is to be closed, the location sold (for a pittance? Donell Library?) to a developer (I hear Forest City Ratner; surprise) for condos....supposedly with a library returned to it's current location, albeit in a revised form.

There is also word afoot that SIBL on East 34th in Manhattan is also to be sold to developers.

Can you possibly do a program on the status of all the library closings - effected and proposed? You always have listeners who know so much and there is so much to be disseminated.

The limited income (me), the elderly, and especially the poorly served public school students NEED these wonderful places of learning.

Feb. 21 2014 10:48 AM
Martin Chuzzlewit from Manhattan

Wow, "john from office" is kickin' butt and takin' names!!!

Feb. 21 2014 10:44 AM

TeleKriminals®

Business as usual here, in these gr8 States of AmeriKa™!

wtf?

Feb. 21 2014 10:40 AM
Amy from Manhattan

Of course Google would get money by providing internet access. What I'm wondering is whether they'd have access to info from users who aren't using their search engine that way.

Feb. 21 2014 10:39 AM
Penny from Downtown

Please ask the commentator to explain the electrical situation between copper and fiber. I've heard that if I switch to FIOS I would have nothing in a blackout. I stay with DSL to keep my emergency phone active; hurricanes are not over for us.

Feb. 21 2014 10:36 AM
Jason from Brooklyn

E-rate funding for the city:

Feb. 21 2014 10:36 AM
jgarbuz from Queens

I have broadband,but why do I need WiFi again? I don't own a handheld mobile device and have no intention of ever having one. My desktop PC, broadband, and my Magic Jack is all I need.

Feb. 21 2014 10:35 AM
Robert from NHYC

It's time to open that market up to everyone who can provide broadband. It's time the duopoly was crushed, as it were. We (you) pride ourselves that we (you) believe in the "open market" well this is NOT an open market and it's time to make it one.

Feb. 21 2014 10:33 AM
Jason from Brooklyn

You should ask about the e-rate program and the fact that the city has not receive nearly a billion dollars in federal funding for providing internet and telecom services to city schools. This year alone the city requested $600 million and received none of it.

Feb. 21 2014 10:31 AM
Sheldon from Brooklyn

If DeBlasio was a true "Progressive", which he is not, this would have been a major priority. The Dolans and TWC have us in a perpetual chokehold.

Feb. 21 2014 09:55 AM
john from office

DeBlasio is the reason Progressives eventually lose power. Too many ideas, pulled in too many directions. Free broadband for all, universal Pre K, free lunches all around. Focus on the possible, then move on. DeBlasio is well intentioned, but he is flying too close to the sun(Coumo) his wings will melt and he will fall to the ground.

Too much "EMPOWERING" going on. How about a micro bank so that working class people can start a small business, not just trying to figure out how to give out a new handout.

White liberalism gone wild.

Best quote from these boards, "Mayor Chavez" see where that has gone.

Feb. 21 2014 08:36 AM

In a related story, demonstrating a victory for progressive social sharing:

Five disabled social housing tenants have lost their Court of Appeal bid to have benefit cuts for those with spare bedrooms ruled unlawful.

Feb. 21 2014 05:47 AM

Homeless barred from access to WiFi in NYC subways.
Are there actionable First Amendment issues involved?
Decision to eject them does not involve the mayor - who knows nothing about it. (Seems to be a lot of that "not involving the jurisdiction's chief executive" going around lately.)

Feb. 21 2014 03:53 AM