Wherefore Teach Thy Children Shakespeare?

Tuesday, July 08, 2014

This portrait, painted in 1610, is believed to be the only surviving picture of William Shakespeare painted in his lifetime. (Leon Neal/AFP/Getty Images)

Ken Ludwig, playwright ("Lend Me a Tenor," "Crazy for You") and the author of How to Teach Your Children Shakespeare (Broadway Books, 2014), offers tips for parents on some of the Shakespeare performances around town this summer.

Productions of Shakespeare plays in and around the city this summer include:

Mr. Ken Ludwig

Frank DeGregorie from Manhattan

PLEASE tell Mr. Ludwig that mischievous is not pronounced MISS CHEEV EE US. The accent is on the first syllable.
He's teaching children Shakespeare. For goodness sake, he should know that, don't you think?

I hope he appreciates this help. I'm sure he wouldn't want to pass on the wrong pronunciation to children, even though he pronounced it on WNYC, reaching millions.

Thank you.

Jul. 08 2014 12:05 PM
Mary from Brooklyn

Not included in the list above but well worth noting:
Smith Street Stage's upcoming production of MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING (July 23 - August 10) in Carroll Park in Brooklyn. The shows are free and always wonderful!

Jul. 08 2014 12:01 PM
Amy from Manhattan

I think the same meaning of "blows" occurs in the song "Sumer Is Y-Cumen In," in the line "Groweth sede and bloweth mede."

But I don't think "wherefore" works the same way as "why" as used in the segment title. I think it needs to be "Wherefore shouldst thou teach thy children Shakespeare?" Besides, it uses more Elizabethan forms!

Jul. 08 2014 12:01 PM
Bob from Westchester

for fun: http://www.literarygenius.info/shakespeare-insults-dictionary.htm

Jul. 08 2014 11:59 AM
jgarbuz from Queens

BORING! Back in 1958 I met young prodigy in summer camp who dressed and looked like little Lord Fauntelroy and who could quote any passage from Shakespeare from memory like a seasoned Baptist preacher who can quote any passage from scripture on demand. It was quite amazing. We struck up a brief friendship and even came from lord knows where to visit me once in the housing project in Brownsville. He was a sight to behold.But to me listening to Shakespeare is like drinking castor oil. It's supposed to be good for me, or so they say. I personally don't see the point. If anything I think the KJV of the Bible makes for better reading and I wish more of it was set to plays. Shakespeare is for actors to hone their profession. You are not considered a truly accomplished professional actor if you can't do a credible job as a Shakespearean thespian.

Jul. 08 2014 11:55 AM
beth from jersey city

Jersey City has free Shakespeare in the Park as well! This Thursday in Hamilton Park, the Hudson Shakespeare Company performs Cymbeline at 7pm at the gazebo. Don't forget all your listeners just across the river. facebook.com/hpnajc

Jul. 08 2014 11:54 AM
richard lee

One more quibble, but the public is downtown; its the delacorte or NYSF off belvedere lake...

Jul. 08 2014 11:51 AM
Tony from Canarsie

Btw, thanks for the performance schedules!

Jul. 08 2014 11:45 AM
Tony from Canarsie

Just nit-picking, but Tarnya Cooper, the 17th-century art specialist at the National Portrait Gallery, argues that the painting above depicts poet and essayist Thomas Overbury. Here's a 2009 article about it at the Guardian:

Jul. 08 2014 11:42 AM