Where To Put The Pre-K Seats?

Tuesday, August 12, 2014

A teacher reads to a pre-kindergarten class at Bright Beginnings Child Care in Jamaica, Queens. The organization submitted a proposal to convert its half-day classes to full-day. (Yasmeen Khan)

There aren't enough seats in public schools for the expanded pre-k program in New York City, so the city is looking to put classes in community and religious schools. Richard Buery, deputy mayor for Strategic Policy Initiative, talks about the line between church and state in these pre-k classrooms, and the guidelines for how teachers can walk the line between cultural and religious instruction.

Richard Buery

What in the world is the concern with religious symbolism/ influence in public schools when charter schools are permitted prayer rooms ?

Aug. 12 2014 03:15 PM
francyne pelchar from pelham bay park

I am a childfree, lifelong atheist. If I had a child and the closest pre-K program was run by any religion and had religious symbols, I would be so glad to have the kid off my hands all day, I'd go for it. Not if they taught the religion, but had the symbols around, ok. We live in a free, multi-cultural society.

Aug. 12 2014 11:32 AM
Jeff from East Village

Deputy mayor Buery didn't listen to anything the callers said; he just repeated his line. Odd, I thought that new-generation bureaucrats were trained to at least "sound" responsive.

Aug. 12 2014 11:22 AM
Shelly

I would really love to know how the hiring process is taking place. I haven't heard of any push to recruit teachers, and I know people who are looking, myself included. Where/how can you apply to teach these jobs? I assume you need a regular NY teaching license and certification, but there's no information on the DOE website.

Aug. 12 2014 11:15 AM
jgarbuz from Queens

To Nick who asked

>"When will this crapola be kept by law completely out of education, government and politics?"<

When children are produced in factories and not by "families."

Aug. 12 2014 11:09 AM
Ana from brooklyn

Also, these navigators are exceptionally unhelpful. They don't know where there are seats and it is so difficult to get direct answers IF you can get someone to return calls/emails. Andres on the phone is right, information is scarce and programs don't seem to be certain, even at this late date, whether they have seats or not or whether their seats are full or half day.

Aug. 12 2014 11:09 AM
Ana from brooklyn

There isn't much choice with the kind of scarcity of seats there is in many neighborhoods. My son will probably go to prek in a religious school and we are skeptical. It certainly would not have been our choice if there were more seats available.

Aug. 12 2014 11:02 AM
Arthur Aptowitz from Forest Hills, Ny

The Mayor promised, or at least implied, that pre-K was to be inCity Schols, with licensed teachers. That had to be mythical, since there aren't seats/teachers for the kids going to achool now. God only knows where these pre-K kids will be going. I'm just glad my grandchild will be in a Public School.
1. So much for separation of Church and State; taxpayers will pay for religious education.
2. The chaos will be unbelievable that first week or longer.

Aug. 12 2014 11:00 AM
Nick from UWS

This should be a non-issue, because religious schools themselves should be outlawed completely. They are nothing but brain washing centers and what they teach has not the slightest thing to do with education. The last thing any parent should do is place an impressionable young mind into a religious "school" and corrupt his child forever with useless and dangerous hocus pocus. When will this crapola be kept by law completely out of education, government and politics?

Aug. 12 2014 10:57 AM
PMD from Brooklyn

Does anyone know how to come by these Pre-K jobs? How is the hiring process taking place? I am a licensed, NY state-certified teacher for Pre-K (among other grades), but I cannot figure out how to find out where these schools are and how they are going about hiring new teachers. If they are not being housed in the regular/usual public school buildings, who is overseeing the schools and doing the hiring?

Aug. 12 2014 10:56 AM
jgarbuz from Queens

Why not just start making babies in hatcheries and have them raised by corporations in cooperation with the government? What's the point of "families" today anyway? Relics of bygone times.

Aug. 12 2014 10:52 AM
Peg

Glad to see that the children are sitting on the floor rather than real "seats." (Past segments have warned us that "seats" are killing us). The title of this segment should read "Where to put the pre-K Classrooms?"

Aug. 12 2014 10:16 AM