When It's Okay To Laugh

Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Some of the best jokes are about difficult subjects, like politics. Lizz Winstead, a comedian, writer, and co-founder of Comedy Central’s The Daily Show and Hari Kondabolu, a comedian whose debut album is called "Waiting for 2042," talk about making political topics funny and where to draw the line, from immigration to abortion.

Hari Kondabolu and Lizz Winstead

Harry Kanigel from NJ

The "comedian" who insisted that conservatives do not understand that "time is linear" is simultaneously pretentious and arrogant (I guess stupid too). I suppose he means something like "social attitudes change over time, invariably for the better and conservatives are just too hindbound to keep up with history." This assumes that the current generation -- which happens to be alive today -- is smarter and more connected with life's verities than the vast majority of humans whose voices are muted somewhat because they have the disadvantage of being dead. Maybe someone should tell him what "linear" means. I was hoping he would say something genuinely interesting like "time is a narrowly human construct that is mainly a function of human sense organs and the human scale."

Aug. 29 2014 03:49 PM
ann in NYC from Manhattan

I was shocked at how hard I laughed throughout "In the Company of Men". I felt awful about that because I care so much about women's issues and rights and the rights of purple with disabilities.

Aug. 29 2014 11:03 AM
Edward from Washington Heights AKA pretentious Hudson Heights

Martha Stewart can fill in for Jon Stewart.

May. 20 2014 11:46 AM
John A

Pride goeth before the fall.

May. 20 2014 11:38 AM
Amy from Manhattan

Maybe Jon Stewart was satirizing Rush Limbaugh's repeated claim that he's just an entertainer!

May. 20 2014 11:36 AM
Bebe from Queens

Political humor is for the benefit of those who agree with its point of view. This is neither a good thing nor a bad thing, it just is. Political humor can help rally the troops, but it will rarely bring on new followers unless they're on the fence. I don't have time to listen to a comic who makes fun of things I take seriously.

May. 20 2014 11:33 AM
Truth & Beauty from Brooklyn

Sarah Palin is a bit of political humor that helped the Democrats win the presidency...

May. 20 2014 11:32 AM
jgarbuz from Queens

Stephen Colbert is the greatest political humorist of all times, and I find myself agreeing with his conservative character more than laughing at him. His character is both funny and right more often than not.

May. 20 2014 11:32 AM
Steven from Brooklyn

What do you get if you cross WNYC with Fox news?

A Brian Lehrer show where you learn (repeatedly) that President Obama was stranded for 7 hours on the George Washington Bridge during the Benghazi attack.

May. 20 2014 11:30 AM
BronxJack from South Bronx

How about Hood humor?

www.watchthehood.com

May. 20 2014 11:27 AM
Seth

Please ask Liz, why there's the perception that women are not as funny as men? I don't think it's true, but I do know it's out there. Don't ask why they are or are not, but is there this idea that some uninformed folks believe.

May. 20 2014 11:26 AM
jgarbuz from Queens

A lot of dead baby jokes to be found in the abortion controversy, for sure.

May. 20 2014 11:25 AM