What's Your Favorite Non-USA World Cup Team?

Thursday, July 03, 2014

Christian Raja of Brooklyn reacts at a missed attempt on goal by the USA during overtime against Belgium in the World Cup. July 1, 2014 (Andrew Burton/Getty)

Now that the U.S. men's soccer team has been eliminated from the World Cup, what team are you rooting for to win the tournament? Greg Howard, writer at Deadspin and editor at Screamer, Deadspin's soccer site, analyzes the strengths and weaknesses of the players and the teams headed to the quarterfinals.

Jody Avirgan and Greg Howard

j276

I'm glad to hear someone criticize the style of Costa Rica and Greece. Rather than demonstrating beautiful teamwork and reliance on referees, as the apologist that came on insisted, it is a cowardly attempt to succeed despite the lack of talent.

Think pre-shot clock basketball, when inferior teams would attempt to hold the ball as much as possible in order to have a chance...

Jul. 04 2014 07:10 AM
keith from NYC

Costa Rica! The team is very spirited, and the national pride inspiring.Their spirit and sportsmanship has set them apart from the other teams, not to mention I tend to go with the underdog. Also, my wife is Tica, so I really have a marital obligation to support them!

Jul. 03 2014 11:49 AM
hilts

I'm rooting for France because I'm a huge fan of French Cinema (Truffaut, Renoir, etc) and French literature (Proust, Balzac, etc). Additionally, several of my favorite painters are (Monet, Manet, etc) and several of my favorite composers are French (Debussy, Ravel, etc). I also love hearing La Marseillaise.

Let's go France!

Jul. 03 2014 11:45 AM
Vanessa from Hastings-on-Hudson

Now I'm rooting for Argentina because my daughter is living there now and I want her to experience what it's like to be in a futbal-intense World Cup Winner country!

Jul. 03 2014 11:10 AM
Lesa from Wilds of Westchester

Go Costa-Rica or Belgium! BTW Argentina has a great player in Di Maria so don't underestimate that team.

Also, the historical number of saves by Howard is the most positive spin in the hysterical number he had to save because the US National team has no midfielders. US needs to learn how to build from the back-you go for it Jurgen!!!

Jul. 03 2014 11:10 AM
Tee from NJ

I'm rooting now for Belgium because if they win it will prove just how good the US team really is.

Jul. 03 2014 11:09 AM
Paulo from NYC

I'm from Brazil, but I have been rooting for both the US and Brazil up until now. If (when) Brazil loses, I'll root for Costa Rica.

Jul. 03 2014 11:04 AM
Theresa Campion from Mamaroneck, NY

I will root for the Netherlands in honor of my Dutch husband who is Mali, working for the United Nations and has not had the time or access to watch the game.

Jul. 03 2014 11:04 AM
Liz from Westchester

As a British-American, welcome to our world, England fans have to go through this process every time! I'm going Belgium - then at least the US went out only because they lost to the World Champions.

Jul. 03 2014 11:00 AM
Grant from Manhattan

I have been supporting the Netherlands throughout the tournament. The Dutch are one of the great teams that has never won the World Cup, are always exciting to watch, and a natural choice for those of us who live in New Amsterdam. And I love those orange kits.

Jul. 03 2014 10:59 AM