What’s More Dangerous: Marijuana or Alcohol?

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Imagine that both substances were undiscovered until today. How would we think about their relative risks?

Tags:

More in:

Susan from Savannah, GA

He's nuts if he'd tell his kids to choose alcohol over marijuana. First of all, more propensity to violence with alcohol. Two, alcohol is far more impairing and addictive. He's just saying, well, it's what people have always done, has been socially acceptable, so why change???? And after effects of marijuana nil compared to alcohol. Just nuts.

May. 27 2014 08:47 PM
Girl from Somewhere

As someone who has smoked both cigarettes and marijuana and also consumed alcohol in large and small amounts. I have never become addicted to any. The reason I drank was because society made me believe that it was the right and fun thing to do. And while it can be fun it is most definitely the most harmful thing I had done to myself. It causes the body to be carefree and it's hard to think clearly. Leading to choices such as smoking cigarettes and others I will not mention in response. So drinking led to my tobacco use despite a lifetime of believing I would never smoke. After a while I decided I wanted to try marijuana and see what all the fuss was about. You know "Everyone is doing it", thing. Well. It's true. Almost everyone I know had been and continues to do it. And the more people I meet the more I find that consume marijuana. None including I have had any negative effects. And none have used it as a gateway drug. It relaxes the body as alcohol does but with out the loss of inhibitions and thinking clearly. In fact I never felt more aware of everything. I've never been one to drink and drive. But as a marijuana user I have also never felt the need to do anything while smoking except for to eat and sleep unlike drinking which excites and usually leads you to the next party. I feel that if it came to choosing one drug that it would be marijuana.

May. 27 2014 07:23 PM
lewis from cymry

pamela your entire fundamental argument is flawed by the fact that alcohol is a much larger gateway drug to tobacco as most "social smoker" begin while drinking
, you fool. furthermore the use of a volcano vaporizer makes the need for harmful combustion via any substance obsolete, you inhale water vapor every second via our air so explain to me how cannabis is bad without your government funded scape goat tobacco stop living in the 18th century you idle brainwashed civilian

May. 24 2014 03:58 PM
Spaz from Nyc

My father speed being abusive when he quit alcohol and started smoking.

Apr. 17 2014 03:03 PM
seth from NYC

Pamela McColl from Canada, sorry to break the news to you, but you are quite ill-informed. You seem to be using decades old misinformation. Alcohol inebriates you, slurs your speech, blurs your vision, tend to make some individuals violent, and make poor decisions such as getting behind the wheel of a car. It is also a poison–prolonged use will rot your liver. quite the opposite of cannabis. And up until the prohibition pushed through by William Randolf Heart, and his interests in the lumber and paper industry, Cannabis had been used in Human civilization for thousands of years as a medicine, a strong fiber that has hundreds of uses, including paper and rope. 1 acre of Cannabis can produce 4x as much paper as an acre of trees. And if anything, alcohol is by far a greater gateway to cigarettes. I can go on, but I assume that this will fall on deaf ears.

Apr. 17 2014 12:24 PM
Pamela McColl from Canada

If you drink a glass of wine it clears your body in two hours. If you smoke cannabis it makes you stoned and does not clear your blood and system for 36 hours. Drugged driving needs to be taken seriously along. Alcohol and marijuana are addictive drugs and ten percent of people who use these drugs will have addictive issues.
There is evidence that marijuana is a gateway drug to tobacco - which is the number one cause of premature death and will these products will kill one billion people in this century which is one in four deaths worldwide.
This interview is riddled with mistakes, misconceptions and understates the risks of harm by marijuana use.

Apr. 17 2014 11:51 AM