What's Joe Lhota's Path?

Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Now that we know the matchup for November's mayoral election, can Republican Joe Lhota actually win in deep blue New York City - particularly when Bill de Blasio made such a successful appeal to a variety of identity groups? Reihan Salam, senior fellow at R Street, contributor to The National Review and CNN, discusses what he and fellow New York Republicans want to see from Lhota. And New York Times urban affairs correspondent Sam Roberts breaks down the demographic challenges Lhota faces -- plus the types of Democrats he'll have to win over.

Sam Roberts and Reihan Salam

" . . . Instead, amid a huge exodus of residents, plummeting tax revenues and skyrocketing home abandonment, Detroit’s leaders engaged in a billion-dollar borrowing binge, created new taxes and failed to cut expenses when they needed to. . . . "

Choose Wisely

Sep. 17 2013 02:19 PM
Edward from Washington Heights AKA pretentious Hudson Heights

Anybody backed by or sucks up to Al "Twana Brawley" Sharpton would be BAD for NYC.

Sep. 17 2013 12:14 PM
JT from NYC

I was happy to vote for Mr. Dinkins when he 1st ran. Then I couldn't wait to vote against him 4 years later. As an independent I registered as a democratic this year to have more of a say in the electoral process because NYC is so heavily democratic. I voted for Mr. Thompson & am disappointed he conceded. This was one reason I was eager to vote for the Latina in the Public Advocate as she is not a lifelong politican. I will eagerly vote for Joe, as he is a regular Joe, not a lifelong politican. Yes he is a bureaucrat, but a highly successful one, reaching the top by being 1st Deputy Mayor & head of the MTA, excelling IMHO in both. A proven man who is by no means extreme & be the one most likely to continue the path upward NYC has been on for the last 20 years, while addressing issues that need attention without tearing down the progress.
Gov. David Patterson was right & as accidental governor he proved to be spot on!
Texas wouldn't attack oil, as it is their lifeline. Wall Street in the lifeline of NYC & unlike oil which is located below the ground, Wall Strret companies & entities can & do move. Look accross the river to NJ where both have already moved to. With the electronic age, Wall Street no longer needs to be in a concentrated area!

Sep. 17 2013 10:54 AM
William from Manhattan

As a life-long Democrat, it depresses me that my party frequently puts forward the candidate most likely to lose in the general election. An overtly soak-the-rich message will drive many moderate Democrats (including possibly me) to the Republican candidate.
There may not be a Democratic or Republican way to pick up the garbage, but we Democrats have the unfortunate habits of frightening off the geese that lay our golden eggs and of caving needlessly to public sector unions. De Blasio effectively promised to do both before the real pressure even was on.

Sep. 17 2013 10:32 AM

Is it too early to call de Blasio a "white Obama" (i.e. transcending a lot of tribalism in politics)?

Sep. 17 2013 10:23 AM

Regarding the list of requirements for a Republican to win in NY, didn't you miss at least two?

Could /any/ candidate who wasn't in lock-step with the "LGBTQ"-buggery-trans-quackery and abortion lobbies win in this city?

(Giuliani, many will recall, was solid for both)

The only way I could even consider voting for Lhota would be if I were to find evidence that he were any better than de Blasio on these core issues.

(At this point, I will likely be writing-in Erick Salgado)

Sep. 17 2013 10:22 AM
Bobby G from East Village

There were 165,000 low and affordable housing units built during Bloomberg's term. I see it in my neighborhood.

Sep. 17 2013 10:21 AM
carolita from NYC

I'm a Democrat voted for Bloomberg twice (I wasn't here fhe first time). I voted for him because when I left NYC, I couldn't work in restaurants or see friends for drinks at a bar. His smoking ban literally changed my life. It was this that got my attention and made me think he was a force for change. I couldn't see Lhota doing anything like this. I do not think he's socially progressive, and I don't think he's going to take care of less fortunate New Yorkers. Bloomberg wasn't a Republican for me, he was just Bloomberg. Lhota is first and foremost a Republican. He thinks that will get him the mayorship, and that rankles me. Not only that, a decade of Bloomberg was enough, which is why I didn't vote for Bloomberg Lite in Quinn.

Sep. 17 2013 10:20 AM

Regarding "identity politics" and to the caller/candidate Ramadan:

When the hell did "qualifications" become an important issue for voters and ultimately elected officials??

Sep. 17 2013 10:20 AM
jgarbuz from Queens

The way immigrants have invariably begun to "climb the ladder" was to get into peddling and small business, usually in the inner city neighborhoods where many initially settled. Those who are successful then send their kids on to college to become professionals, or they continue in the family business, whichever.

Sep. 17 2013 10:19 AM
Bobby G from East Village

In answer to Brian's question, I am a Bloomberg Democrat and my issues are the City's finances, budgets and infrastructure investment. I fear deBlasio caving to public sector unions and busting the City budget. Horse carriages and even stop and frisk are at this point essentially non-issues after the court case and the two City Council veto overrides. I will give Lhota a look.

Sep. 17 2013 10:16 AM

Fourteen minutes in and haven't heard anything about "Joe Lhota's Path". Obviously a misleading heading for this segment.

Sep. 17 2013 10:15 AM

@ Steve from NYC:
"we would have had Jews as all three Democratic candidates for the city wide offices."

As a Jew, I'm relieved that didn't happen. As it is, we already have more than enough Jews in places of power. (And this causes resentment and suspicion)

Sep. 17 2013 10:11 AM
Sam from Manhattan

I suggest that "identity politics" pales in importance compared to the RAGE people are feeling due to the severe income inequality in our city/society.

Sep. 17 2013 10:11 AM
Karen from NYC

Lefkowitz, Gilhooley and Fino?,

Sep. 17 2013 10:09 AM
Karen from NYC

My husband just sang what he swears is an old, real campaign song"

How can you miss
With a ticket like this?
Leftovers, Gilhiooley and Fino!

Sep. 17 2013 10:06 AM

Sam Roberts said that de Blasio's wife, "previously identified as a Lesbian".

??!! What happened?

Aren't we always told that changing one's sexual orientation is absolutely impossible?!

Sep. 17 2013 10:06 AM
Tony from Canarsie

Martin Chuzzlewit from Manhattan -- what does Bill de Blasio's birth name have to do with anything? That's just plain silly.

Sep. 17 2013 10:05 AM
Steve from NYC

It's interesting to note that at one point Weiner was one of the leaders and might have won if the new disclosures hadn't come out. If he had and Dan Squadron wins Public Advocate, then along with Scott Stringer, we would have had Jews as all three Democratic candidates for the city wide offices. I believe this would have been a first.

Sep. 17 2013 10:05 AM
jgarbuz from Queens

DiBlasio has won. It's a waste of time and money to even hold the election. Lhota should concede in advance, and let's see what happens to the city. If it soon starts to deteriorate then Lhota will have his chance again in 4 years.

Sep. 17 2013 09:24 AM

"The voter on the right" in the photo looks barely old enough to vote.

Sep. 17 2013 09:13 AM
Martin Chuzzlewit from Manhattan

LHOTA – quit the race ... let DiBlasio , whose real name Warren Wilhelm, (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_de_Blasio) become mayor ... and give the Lefty Loonies here what they want - a New York City that devolves into just another bankrupt Philadelphia, unsafe Chicago or (yikes!) Newark (10 murders in 10 days earlier this month). They will deserve it.

Sep. 17 2013 06:20 AM