What Cuomo's WFP Endorsement Means for Abortion Rights and the Minimum Wage

Tuesday, June 03, 2014

Following Gov. Cuomo's endorsement by the Working Families Party, we take a closer look at two issues where they've disagreed in the past. Catherine Lederer-Plaskett, president of Westchester Coalition for Legal Abortion, discusses Cuomo's Working Families Party endorsement and what it means for abortion rights in New York State. Paul Sonn, general counsel with the National Employment Law Project, discusses the minimum wage.

Catherine Lederer-Plaskett and Paul Sonn

@jgarbuz

"I think 1.4 million deaths due to abortion annually is more than enough."

Great. So the next time you are pregnant, don't have an abortion.

Jun. 03 2014 02:21 PM

LOL, the stupid Lefties (but I repeat myself) got played big time by Cuomo.
As the NYT columnist wrote today, Cuomo dismissed the "agreement" afterward as what you do to win a party vote, then shrugged and said, "I won."

Jun. 03 2014 01:51 PM
RUCB_Alum from Central New Jersey

No real practical reason for it besides a sense of fairness but my opinion is that the national minimum wage should be no less than the per capita amount of GDP over 2. Why over 2? That's the part of GDP that represents income. Using today's numbers of $16T and 320 million Americans, it is about $25,000. I would divide that by 2,000 to get $12.50 per hour.

Raising the minimum wage will have a negative impact on unemployment (somewhere between 2 and 4% of low wage workers will lose their jobs) and more inflation as increased wages enable consumers to bid up things that people actually buy.

Focusing on the 'cost of living' versus the 'growth in the economy' is one reason why median income buying power has fallen relative to the national income. Eyes on the prize, folks.

Jun. 03 2014 10:25 AM
Steven from Brooklyn

A problem with indexing minimum wage to inflation is that it removes one impediment to policy makers and influencers pursuing policies that push inflation higher. Of course some would see that as a positive.

Jun. 03 2014 10:19 AM
John A

Dud Cuomo ever try to take back his dissing of NYS christians?

Jun. 03 2014 10:16 AM
jgarbuz from Queens

We had no legal abortion in the 1950s and 1960s and I don't think life was so terrible then. I think life has gotten worse, especially for babies in the womb, since 1972 when abortion was legalized. I think 1.4 million deaths due to abortion annually is more than enough. I hope that soon we'll be able to produce babies in factories because women can no longer be trusted for the future of our species.

Jun. 03 2014 10:13 AM