We Asked. You Answered: The Best and Worst Candy to Get on Halloween

Thursday, October 31, 2013 - 12:00 AM

As part of our Please Explain: Candy segment, we asked listeners on Facebook what the best candy to get on Halloween is and what the worst is. And you told us. Without further ado, the tricks and the treats...

The Treats:

Smarties

100 Grand  bars

Full-sized chocolate bar

Snickers – both baby and adult

Heath bars

Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups

Homemade caramel popcorn balls

A special note about Mary Janes – one of our listeners said they were the best, while everyone else disagreed with her. We say, when it comes to trick-or-treating, to each, her own.

The Tricks:

Hard candy sour balls directly from the can

Necco wafers

“Any hard candy that’s more than two colors.”

Circus peanuts

An apple, which isn’t even a kind of candy.

Pennies – again, not a candy

And there’s this guy: “My brother once got a bunch of noodles (boiled), poured loosely into his bag.” That is definitely the worst.

Tags:

More in:

News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

Amber from Las Vegas

I give out bottles of bubbles; everybody loves bubbles :-)

Nov. 04 2013 12:14 AM
Linda

Kids seem to love creepy things, especially boys, so I got Creepy Eyeballs gum to hand out this year. For the non-creepy, tootsie rolls mini's. I love them so....... :-) To Veronica: I remember those lockjaw Mary Janes, too. If you could just suck on them, it'd be ok, but sooner or later the temptation to bite overcame you, and then it was all over.

Nov. 01 2013 01:35 PM

C'mon, is there anything better than candy corn? And I don't even like candy that much.

Oct. 31 2013 03:52 PM
Christina from Union, NJ

I bought Twix to give out. My daughter's taekwondo studio cleverly made postcards offering a free month of classes which we'll give out as well. I thought it was a great idea and a fun alternative for kids with allergies.

Oct. 31 2013 03:36 PM
Neal Wilkins

I generally give out Halloween Play-Doh (they make tiny jars for the occasion) for young children, and individual-sized microwave popcorn for older children. Kids think they're getting something wonderful and I'm giving out NO CANDY!

Oct. 31 2013 02:43 PM
Kate from Manhattan

Today is my first time giving candy to the children who live in our building and I feel the pressure to do right by them. So I got baby-sized Milky Ways, individually wrapped Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, and snack-sized bags of M&Ms. While I expect that I've made good choices and may end up as the most popular neighbor in the building, in fact I made my choices on what I'd like to have, assuming there will be leftovers.

In other words, when it comes to Halloween candy, the golden rule is a good place to start.

PS As for Mary Janes, only dentists looking for new patients give them out.

Oct. 31 2013 01:51 PM
Veronica from New Jersey

I remember biting down on a Mary Jane as a child, and feeling like my teeth were going to be pulled out of my gums!

Oct. 31 2013 11:57 AM
JD from Long Island City

Never understood why people hate circus peanuts. They're the epitome of artificial awesomeness!

Oct. 31 2013 10:29 AM

Please stay on topic, be civil, and be brief.

Sponsored

About The Lodown

The Lodown is a blog about everything brought to you by the staff of the Leonard Lopate Show (Leonard will even drop by from time to time)! We cover food, art, politics, history, science and much more -- literally everything from Picasso to pork pies. Tips and suggestions are welcome so please send us your thoughts, curiosities and intellectual detritus!

Feeds