Watergate Revisited with Elizabeth Drew

Thursday, May 15, 2014

Forty years after the first and only resignation of an American president, Elizabeth Drew, veteran reporter and author of Washington Journal: Reporting Watergate and Richard Nixon's Downfall (Overlook Hardcover, 2014), looks back and asks if we've learned the important lessons.

Elizabeth Drew

JohnD from New Jersey

Far from "calming down" the nation, the Nixon pardon destroyed the myth of American Justice, and proved to the entire country what we now all take for granted: that if you are rich or powerful enough you are not accountable to the rule of law.

May. 15 2014 10:17 PM

Oh John, David
Nixon was the worst. Never forget my friends
Not sure I see a comparison between Clinton and Nixon.

May. 15 2014 12:59 PM
Amy from Manhattan

And on Pres. Ford's pardoning him to "calm down" the nation, I'm not so sure calming down was what we needed at that point. The outrage was entirely justified, & the case against Pres. Nixon, & the truths it would have revealed, should have been pursued.

May. 15 2014 11:42 AM
David from New York, New York

BRAVO John!!!! Brian would NEVER say a negative word about Kennedy, Johnson, Carter, Clinton or Obama! He simply can't help himself!!!

May. 15 2014 11:39 AM
Amy from Manhattan

I remember a news conference where Pres. Nixon seemed uncharacteristically breezy, & when he responded to a reporter's question by saying something like you can only be insulted by someone you respect, or you can't be insulted if you don't respect them, & I thought, "He's on some kind of drug." I was thinking quaaludes, which were big at the time. But maybe he was drunk instead. Or maybe he actually was on drugs.

May. 15 2014 11:39 AM
Mr. Bad from NYC

Yeah, Nixon was a real peach, but what is the point of this book other than character assassination? No new info, research or original viewpoint. What a waste of our time...

May. 15 2014 11:39 AM
steve from upper west side - manhattan

I will never forget that August in 1974 -- as a teenager, the 1972 McGovern campaign was the first political campaign I really worked on, and the Watergate bombshell was stunning, scary and angering... I was at summer camp when Nixon announced he would resign, and I will never forget the entire camp coming together and they put a radio on the camp public address system -- and we all listened in rapt attention as Nixon announced his resignation. What a feeling of euphoria and pride in American democracy... What a celebration erupted! How sad and ironic (and scary and angering) that the current Republican blocs in the House and Senate (not to mention the Bush White House) have forgotten the lessons of Watergate and the dangers of such abuses of power, and have been systematically dismantling all the precautions and protections that were put into place after that...

May. 15 2014 11:38 AM
C.E. Connelly from Manhattan

Can we be sure such a person never achieves power again!? G.W. Bush was, if anything worse. Not a drunk, but responsible for deaths of hundreds of thousands of people in Iraq. He was an incredibly incurious narrow-minded man who believed God spoke to him personally.

May. 15 2014 11:38 AM
David from New York, New York

Good Lord! This lefty hag is making 80% of this up!!!!! Where is the data? Where is her evidence? This is SO typical of the left-of-left-of-left Brian Lehrer!

May. 15 2014 11:35 AM
John from office

The left will never leave Mr. Nixon alone. Like Reagan, they relish dragging him through the mud.

Would Brian do the same segment on Clinton, or Kennedy, I dont think so.

May. 15 2014 11:35 AM
Dave From NorthEast Bronx

I find it shockly amazing how Watergate criminals like Rove and Libby can place such a major role in our political discourse today. In some countries around the world these guys would have been shot or forced to commit suicide with a small shape knife. And that would've been the honarable thing to do!

May. 15 2014 11:29 AM
Dorothy from Manhattan

Elizabeth Drew! I can hardly believe it! When I open a new New Yorker on Monday afternoon I usually think of her and how much I miss her analysis. She and I are about the same age and when Ms. Drew was ill (25 or so years ago?) my mother often stopped in the local church to light a candle for her. My mother pretty much considered herself responsible for Ms. Drew's recovery. ;-)
When my mother died 14 years ago I wanted to write to Ms. Drew but never got around to it. I hope this will do it.

May. 15 2014 10:31 AM

Just yesterday I heard Karl rove played a part in watergate.
Any juicy details?