Warm Memories To Fight The Cold

Monday, February 17, 2014

A call-in segment with your descriptions of a warm day (remember those?) on this chilly Monday. Tell us about a really warm memory. Remember that feeling of taking your shoes off and walking barefoot on fresh green grass? Remember how it smells on the beach, that mixture of sunscreen and salty air? Tell us what a grill sounds like on the 4th of July. Let’s remember a warmer time. 212-433-WNYC. 212-433-9692. Describe what it feels, sounds and smells like when it's actually hot out.

Re: the invasion of kids on our southern border -- We're all responsible for all the children all the time.
I don't know who said it, but I think it says it all.

Jul. 17 2014 11:26 AM
Magee from NYC

A perfect summer day
Driving out to Robert Moses State Park.
There's magic out there!
The excitment we felt as kids. " Who can smell the ocean first?!"

The feeling you got on the home stretch, driving over the causeway. Water everywhere shimmering. The classic Jones Beach Obelisk, driving around it.
Finally, arriving with all our stuff. The sand is hot! Pick out a good spot. " No, not here...THERE!! Over here......yes, PERFECT."
The briney ocean smell. Of sizzling hot dogs and french fries, a distant radio, the sounds of joy all mingled in the air with the seagulls. Come on, let's GO!
Running down. .......EVERYBODY IN !!!
Wait for meeeeee!!!

You stay all day for the sunset.
They've got showers!
After changing into your shorts and tee shirt, you feel alive again. You just feel so alive. There's a feeling of ecstacy. You don't want to leave. On the ride home, everybody's quiet. You fall asleep with a peace in your bones, still feeling the ocean waves inside your young, happy body.

Feb. 18 2014 11:10 AM
Penny from Queens

It doesn't get dark until 8 pm, and when we go for a walk in the neighborhood we are surrounded by the summer nighhtime sounds if crickets and cicadas chirping and humming.

Feb. 18 2014 10:03 AM
Aldona Rygelis from Williamsburg, Brooklyn

95 degrees, 95% humidity. It hurts to move. Hard to breathe. Everything requires a huge effort and results in clothing soaked with sweat. The radio issues warnings about spending any time outdoors. Stuck in rooms with air conditioners at best, or drenched in sweat in ones without. Life grinds to a halt. Just waiting for the oppressive heat to go away.

Feb. 17 2014 12:06 PM
Peg

I'm a farmer and I try to avoid Hot summer days, just as I try to avoid Cold winter days. In the cold of winter, I'm indoors toasting myself by my 100+ degree wood stove and on the 100+ degree days of summer, I'm also inside, cooling off in my root cellar! I Like Spring and Autumn - just love those 60-70 degree days!!!!!!

Feb. 17 2014 12:03 PM
S. from Manhattan

Summer 2013 Memories: Concert on the Pier? Rained out. Movie in the park? Rained out. Sunny day--better pull down the blinds and sit in the dark bc it's going to reach 100 degrees and you better try to keep the apartment cool. And watch your teenagers--if they get control of the air-conditioner you'll have no college fund left. GLOBAL CLIMATE CHANGE IS YEAR ROUND.

Feb. 17 2014 12:02 PM
Roman

I am sooooo loving this weather. No sarcasm at all. I love the snow, I love the cold. Finally, after many years, I feel like I really am living in the Northeast and not in Florida. The snow is so beautiful. Yes, I've had to shovel my car out a few times, but it was a fun time for my son and I. We've gone sledding a bunch of times, running around and throwing snowballs. I'm incredibly sick and tired of people complaining about the seasons. Soon enough they will all be complaining about the stifling heat of NYC summers.

Feb. 17 2014 11:58 AM
Mike L from Brooklyn

The guy who called in and sang the repetitive ice cream truck jingle reminded me of Larry David -- he did the same in Curb Your Enthusiasm episode "Mister Softee" -- check it out!

Feb. 17 2014 11:57 AM
V Viola from Long Island City

I would trade a few mosquito bites for this scratchy wool sweater!

Feb. 17 2014 11:57 AM
Kumru from brooklyn

On warm summer afternoons, my home town Istanbul is filled with slightly old but not yet rotten watermelon aroma, balmy yet fresh, sweet yet sharp, green and reflecting an red-orange sunset.

Now amidst NYC snow, I miss that so much.

Feb. 17 2014 11:53 AM