The Wall Street Journal Turns 125

Tuesday, July 08, 2014

The Wall Street Journal began 125 years ago as a 4-page afternoon paper sold for two cents. Since then, it has grown to cover every major financial center around the world and is published in 12 languages. Deputy Editors-in-Chief Matt Murray and Rebecca Blumenstein, and Senior Deputy Managing Editor Michael Miller discuss the legacy—and the future—of The Wall Street Journal. In honor of the anniversary, the Journal has created a new interactive site, highlighting important stories and milestones from the paper's archives. You can see The Wall Street Journal's First Edition here

Rebecca Blumenstein, Michael Miller and Matt Murray

Boca Ratso from Maplecrest, NY

I noticed when Leonard asked whether the WSJ endorsed tariffs because businesses wanted protection, the answer was something like "Well, we don't deal with the editorial side."

But some businesses still call for protective tariffs.
Doesn't that put the lie to current business dogma--that no regulations or gummint control is best for everyone?

Let's face it. Whatever makes them money is what they like--Capitalist dogma be damned.

Jul. 09 2014 07:36 PM
Tony from Canarsie

Hacks gotta hack.

Jul. 08 2014 01:15 PM
Dale from Brooklyn, NY

I think their position on news aggregators is backwards. It's not like stealing the news paper, it more like the news boy announcing the articles so as to sell more news papers. I almost never read the Journal, or really any paper, I get almost my news from WNYC or off the net. So occasionally I will go to google for news, sometimes the best article may be WSJ and I may go look at it, so they will be getting some eyes that they would not have gotten otherwise. It's a new world, WSJ, get used to it.

Jul. 08 2014 12:59 PM
Vinny from Manalapan, NJ

So they like when a post goes viral, like when they publish a Taylor Swift op-ed. Ahem. But they don't like other websites ripping of their regular Murdoch content. Oh wait.

Jul. 08 2014 12:44 PM
Vinny from Manalapan, NJ

After Murdoch bought the paper, many employees left. It's hard to say what the reason was, in any year employees leave the company for any reason. Riiiiiiiiggggggghhhhhht.

Jul. 08 2014 12:36 PM

Echoing M&A's comment. It has become all about the Murdoch POV. Conservative, fine; reactionary, no thanks.

Jul. 08 2014 12:16 PM
M&A from NYC

I miss the old WSJ it used to be a good read, better than the nytimes. Today it's too slanted and I can't read it anymore.
Really feel the recent acquisition by Murdoch hurt the paper.

Jul. 08 2014 12:07 PM