Vietnam Memorial: American Icon

Monday, November 11, 2013

Kurt Andersen, writer and host of Studio 360, talks about the Vietnam Memorial and takes calls from listeners on Veteran's Day.

Kurt Anderson

Lara Logan is not a journalist. She's an anti Muslim war mongering propagandist, and a flirt.The only reason her latest false narrative was exposed is because the right wing [her cohorts actually]are obsessed with Benghazi[Obama won in spite of their failed attempt to use Benghazi to defeat him but they're still fixated and now want to bring him down by in addition to harping on Benghazi making a mountain out of the mole hill about a web site that is still being constructed] and were hanging on to every word in that piece. All she cared was that this guy was a war mongering Islamophobe and he was good looking. Either factor is sufficient for her to do a piece , when they both converge like they did here, that's when she's happiest. If cbs does not fire her, you can expect more false propaganda from her in the future..

Nov. 11 2013 04:29 PM
Oscar from Ny

I hope the great wnyc listeners don't get fooled in believing that ww1 && 2 and Vietnam Middle East etc etc..These all wars come from one group made up demons architecting a one purpose global command center.. Us veterans and the victims of wars is just like a caterpillar shedding its skin.. They feed the mind with ornaments and trinkets... A real soldier learns and can at the end figure who is the real enemy and that's satan and his ppl..

Nov. 11 2013 11:41 AM
Jon Fein

I produced and directed the documentary film Objects and Memory, broadcast nationally for several years on PBS. The film looks at the Vietnam Veterans' Memorial, as well as the aftermath of 9/11 and the 1995 Oklahoma City bombing. A correction: Brian and Kurt referred to the collection of objects left at the memorial as a museum. The huge warehouse storing the items, along with 2.5 million archeological objects from National Parks is the Museum Resource Center, a facility not open to the general public. The NPS MRC does arrange traveling exhibitions (and occasional exhibitions at the Smithsonian National Museum of American History) of articles left at the Wall.

Nov. 11 2013 11:34 AM
jgarbuz from Queens

God Bless France! I hope the Franco-Israel alliance can be reestablished in the face of Obama's wavering support. Why should Iran be allowed to get money by the partial lifting of sanctions? So that they can finish their bomb and ICBM programs?

Nov. 11 2013 11:33 AM
Scott from South Orange

That quote by Lara Logan drove me to her wikipedia page. I was curious what she studied that would explain her superficiality. It listed her education as 'degree in commerce'.

Nov. 11 2013 11:28 AM
jgarbuz from Queens

I just gained a LOT of respect for that young and pretty reporter. I thought she was just another pretty face, but now I hear that there is a real brain and a genuine conscience there as well. Well done, Ms. Logan.

Nov. 11 2013 11:25 AM
josh from bx

could you please speak to maya lib's relationship to the monument?

Nov. 11 2013 11:22 AM
ivan obregon from nyc

"The war exacted a huge human cost in terms of fatalities (see Vietnam War casualties). Estimates of the number of Vietnamese service members and civilians killed vary from 800,000[38] to 3.1 million.[22][25] Some 200,000–300,000 Cambodians,[26][27][28] 20,000–200,000 Laotians,[39][40][41][42][43][44] and 58,220 U.S. service members also died in the conflict.[A 2]"

Wikipedia, the Vietnam War

Just a reminder that there is no wall for the millions of people we killed over there.......we weren't over there playing football.

Nov. 11 2013 11:21 AM
manny from manhattan

I don't understand why vets do not have PTSD during deployment, but mostly after they return- could it be that society is worse than combat itself?

Nov. 11 2013 11:20 AM
Cynthia Herzegovitch from East Harlem - work

The wall was dedicated while I was in college in Buffalo. I went down to Baltimore to visit a friend. His girlfriend's (at the time)brother had died in Vietnam and is on the wall so we were going to be going. I mentioned it to an elderly gentleman who was a "regular" afternoon coffee customer at a fast food place I was working at in Buffalo. I told him where I was going and he asked could I do a rubbing of his son's name. Turns out his son had gone and not returned. He was already in his early 80s and would not be able to go down. Of course I said yes. This was a simple request, easy to fulfill. When I got back I gave it to him and I know that its weird but it brought him some "joy". It was a way to connect with his son again and that his NAME would not be forgotten.

I think its great that the WALL brings out so much emotion which has in turn brought all types of people together.

Cynthia

Nov. 11 2013 11:17 AM
Robert from NYC

I am an anti-war hippie but I agree 100% with this veteran that the wall is so emotional and personal, in your face are the names of the actual heros who lost their lives fighting this unnecessary war. A statue is a noble memorial that leaves one not feeling as emotional and real as the names of ALL those who gave their lives. Even the Iwo Jima statue although has soldiers placing the flag, they are statues they are not real but the closest thing to the action. The wall, on the other hand, and I say again, is the in your face names of the dead, sadly.

Nov. 11 2013 11:11 AM
Chuck from Manhattan

NYC's own Vietnam memorial still without electricity and therefore light at night over a year after Hurricane Sandy. Why?

Nov. 11 2013 10:07 AM