The 19 Truest Tweets About Life in New York City

Friday, August 01, 2014

Twitter in the city. (Amy Pearl/WNYC)

Sometimes a tweet is so true it hurts.

Moving is really hard here.

The subway is weird.

Street carts rule.

You have to be a better pedestrian.

These are the things we fear most.

Some things should be easier.

City dogs are the best dogs.

There is garbage everywhere.

There is scaffolding everywhere.

This is how you say hello.

Tags:

More in:

Susan Gemberling from Holly Hill, FL

To Sixthousand from Brooklyn, NY: as a pretentious ex-newyorker, i feel compelled to point out that the word you are looking for - in your very excellent explanation of yin and yang - is complementary.

Jan. 08 2015 01:51 PM
art525 from Park Slope

Pretentious people trying very hard to be clever. Nothing interesting or surprising here (well maybe the one about being held by the dispatcher). It just reinforces for me that I am happy to have left NYC in September. I agree with those who point out that all the commenters sound like recent arrivals who think they have (re)invented the wheel. Oh and I regularly rode the F train for years and years and I never did accomplish the ability to spot the Mormons. Homeless yes but Mormons no. Who knew? Apparently Choire did.

Jan. 07 2015 12:52 PM
Geralyn Abiander from United States

So so perfect!

Jan. 07 2015 10:26 AM
BaHa from NYC

Just what I expected. Nonsensical, open-mouthed gibberish from someone who moved here last month. Utterly tiresome. Go home, please.

Jan. 07 2015 10:14 AM
Judith from FL

Looks to me most comments are from those not born in the boroughs. I haven't habituated NYC for some years and realize it is now gentrified and expensive. Ambience and neighborhoods have changed although my attachment is the music, the theater, the museums, 92nd Street Y, Shakespeare in the park which was once on the skating ring before the Delacorte Theater, shopping off price, restaurants, ethnic neiborhoods, and friendliness especially in times of crisis like snowstorms and blackouts. I don't think I'd feel comfortable now as a senior.

Jan. 06 2015 06:19 PM
frank manco from 45 minutes south

the beauty of NYC is its above mentioned tools of natural selection.
those who cant make it die , or are forced into suburbia.

Aug. 18 2014 10:02 AM
BK Wahine from Brooklyn

A couple othas: https://twitter.com/axelrachelbank/status/112600790769729536

Aug. 08 2014 02:03 AM
sixthousand from Brooklyn, NY

As a pretentious New Yorker I feel compelled to point out that the Chinese philosophical construct regarding the dichotomy of contrasting yet complimentary forces is actually yin and yang, not ying and yang.

Aug. 06 2014 12:03 AM

In NY town, you visit with the wide world as you stand still, and you thrive socially, maybe, if you dare break ice with that person per day you meet in passing with whom you are muy simpatico. When that fails, find a cause, and you'll find your fellows.

Aug. 05 2014 07:36 PM
Bonnie Kirsten from West village

Nephew visiting from another state observed a man with his dog crossing the street with the traffic light in his favor. The dog stops mid block to relieve himself, the light changes & the man proceeds to clean up despite the traffic swelling around them.

Aug. 05 2014 06:34 PM
rebs

how long do you need to live in NYC to realize that "sick passenger" on the subway is the person who jumped in front of the train?

Aug. 04 2014 12:29 PM
Eli from Here

AND - New York City's official bird is the Construction Crane

Aug. 04 2014 08:54 AM
Born and bred

Ny is buying fruit from the street vendor and not from your local store despite
Seeing the boxes stored on the unfenced tree soil
where the dogs urinate.

Aug. 04 2014 07:13 AM
DJ from NYC

KEEP TO THE RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!

Aug. 03 2014 11:58 PM
Jimmy from Manhattan

You're jealous of the food cart guy because his kitchen is bigger than yours.

Aug. 01 2014 11:36 PM
J from brooklyn

Here's #20: https://twitter.com/NYDailyNews/status/495289761415045120

Aug. 01 2014 03:46 PM
Matt

when I lived in NYC..we used to say..and I would have tweeted it if twitter was around then..."NYC, they only city where dogs walk in human Crap".

Aug. 01 2014 03:13 PM
Sasha from Nyc

That young woman in Midtown was me

Aug. 01 2014 08:39 AM