Tips on How to Keep Your Garden Growing

Monday, August 25, 2014

Gerard Lordahl, Director of GrowNYC’s Open Space Greening Program, talks about late summer gardening and how to keep things growing into the fall.

GrowNYC's Resilient Community Garden Guide.

Leave a comment with your questions about gardening and caring for plants!

Gerard Lordahl

maggie from nj

I'm confused. You said mulch mulch mulch but then said good autumn cleanup is important. I use the fallen leaves as mulch. Is that ok?

Aug. 25 2014 12:45 PM
Elaine from Long Island

My zucchini plants haven't fruited. Plenty of blossoms, but no zucchini!

Aug. 25 2014 12:41 PM
Elaine

Believe it or not, my zucchini have not fruited! Lots of blossoms, no fruit. In LI, with about 6 hours of sun per day on garden.

Aug. 25 2014 12:39 PM
Kiki

I have some peonies that failed to bloom this year after being transplanted. Some of the leaves are withering from what looks like blight. What should I do ?

Aug. 25 2014 12:35 PM
Pamela from Jersey Shore

I has a stellar tomato crop this year - unbelievable but I got 0 zucchini??? I actually have a problem with blossom rot every year but this year but awful.. Any tips

Aug. 25 2014 12:33 PM
elaine from li

What about using garden hoses to water our gardens. Are there toxins inside the hoses?

Aug. 25 2014 12:33 PM
Pamela from LES NYC

I have a big ant problem in my garden. How can I get them to stop eating my vegetables?

Aug. 25 2014 12:31 PM
Truth & Beauty from Brooklyn

I missed the first 26 minutes of the show, so forgive me if I ask something you already covered, but I want to ask about pruning. When is the best time to prune evergreen hedging? Fall, Spring? Does pruning season differ for things like rose bushes?

Aug. 25 2014 12:28 PM
A from Halifax

Great advice (taking notes at work) Thanks again.

Aug. 25 2014 12:28 PM
Doug from Long Island

I have beautiful eggplants, but they're splitting open on their sides (with seeds exposed on the surface). What is wrong? I think I am watering regularly and evenly, so I don't think that is the issue. Thank you!

Aug. 25 2014 12:26 PM
Scott from Essex CT

We use Milorganite on our flowers, vegetables and lawn. We also use as a repellant for deer and find it very effective. But is there any downside to Milorganite?

Aug. 25 2014 12:25 PM
Amy from Manhattan

Wouldn't diatomaceous earth also kill beneficial organisms like worms? If so, is there a way to prevent this? And is there any issue w/safe disposal of diatomaceous earth? For example, if it *is* harmful to worms, maybe it should be kept out of compost?

Aug. 25 2014 12:25 PM
Estelle from Brooklyn

Nah! regarding basil needing six hours of sun! I have a flower box of basil on my porch which gets maybe 3 hours of sun a day and I can't keep up with it. I have tons of basil all summer. Pesto tonight!

Aug. 25 2014 12:20 PM
BadMulch! from Wayne, NJ

RE: mulch! I made the mistake of working wood chip mulch from a few fruit trees we had pruned early this past spring into my garden. I thought it would just compost in the soil and fortify my tomatoes... NOT! Nothing grew! I suspected the mulch and learned that wood chips used as mulch will actually steal the nitrogen from the soil as energy to break down leaving none for the vegetables to grow. I'll have to sift the wood chip mulch out of the soil this fall and try to repair with compost for next year's garden :(

Aug. 25 2014 12:15 PM
A from Halifax

Any good references of what to do for tomato blight? None in New York, but we are having a late blight here in Halifax, NS. Thanks!

Aug. 25 2014 12:13 PM

Please ask about trimming shrubs properly. Specifically, how can very tall shrubs be trimmed to encourage growth from underneath without killing the bushes or ending up with just stems?

Aug. 25 2014 12:06 PM
Andy from Flatbush

Hi - I found what I think is a wasp nest in a tree stump in our garden. Is it possible to re-hive them elsewhere? Who would I contact about doing this?

Aug. 25 2014 11:40 AM