Teachers and Other Callers

Monday, June 02, 2014

UFT president Michael Mulgrew and Schools Chancellor Carmen Fariña embrace at a press conference announcing a contract for New York City teachers. (Rob Bennett/Office of Mayor Bill de Blasio)

It's an informal, unofficial, thoroughly unscientific teachers' contract poll: Ballots were due Friday, the results are announced tomorrow on the new UFT contract. Teachers, did you vote "yes" or "no"?  Plus, a return of "Soapbox" -- callers weigh in on the issues that matter to them today.

Alan

Yeah Seth, teachers DO HAVE IT BETTER. You made your life choice. So did I.
I teach. Your contempt is shameful.

Jun. 03 2014 08:15 AM
Terry Goldman

I voted yes. I feel the contract is one that shows respect for teachers. Of course, I would like to receive retroactive pay in a lump sum, but I understand why that isn't possible. I appreciate all the hard work that the UFT has done to negotiate this contract. I hope it's ratified.

Jun. 02 2014 12:14 PM
Amy from Manhattan

With the retroactive pay increases spread out over several years, what happens if an active or retired teacher dies before the full amount of the increase takes effect? Will the rest of the increases they should have received over the years before the new contract be paid to their families or estates?

Jun. 02 2014 11:54 AM
Truth & Beauty from Brooklyn

Brian-

It's 11;53 am. Most teachers are in the classroom doing their jobs.

Jun. 02 2014 11:53 AM
Peg

From the teacher who wanted to get her health care "Like everybody else" - most Americans DO NOT get to choose whatever Doctor they want. The problem with health care in the US is that we have too many different programs - for Vets, for medicare, for medicaid, for private indusrty, for government workers, for self employed, for children... It's way too complicated , way too expensive and a mess.

Jun. 02 2014 11:53 AM
oscar from east harlem

Im not a teacher, im a Parra...I reluctantly vote yes.. not because I think it was a good or fair contract, I just think that the city would not give us anything better.. we have been working without a contract for a long time and imagine the politicians playing it up to media if this contract is voted down, they would say those greedy teacher wanting to to suck the city dry.

Jun. 02 2014 11:52 AM
Seth

i work for a big bank, and i don't get to pick any dr. i want, so why should a teacher?

Jun. 02 2014 11:49 AM