Survival Stories from the Edge of 50

Monday, March 10, 2014

Actress and humorist Annabelle Gurwitch confronts the various indignities faced women of a certain age. She discusses the anti-aging offerings at a department-store beauty counter, coping with the assisted suicide of her best friend, negotiating the ins and outs of acceptable behavior with her teenager, and the reality that she’ll probably never be able to afford to retire in her book of essays, I See You Made and Effort: Compliments, Indignities, and Survival Stories from the Edge of 50.

Annabelle Gurwitch

jgarbuz from Queens

To Peg,

I totally agree with you. Every human being is an unfathomable universe, a separate galaxy, albeit galaxies do collide. Sometimes these collisions cause tremendous destruction to each other, and sometime they just pass through each other with little harm done. On very rare occasions they do really become one. But very rarely.

Mar. 10 2014 01:06 PM
Betsy from Inwood

Give me a break! Annabelle. Just wait until you are 70 to see how people look at you. My 50s were wonderful. But 70 is a whole new ball game. I say that as an active working person who teaches sailing, who gets offered seats on the subway most of the time. A nice thing but an ugly reminder of how old I look.

Mar. 10 2014 01:02 PM
thatgirl from manhattan

Foodaggro - You're being generous with that "30" comment, of course.

Mar. 10 2014 01:00 PM
jgarbuz from Queens

Once babies can be produced in factories, and robots are our companions, and computers rule the world, who will care what they look like? Males and females will not need each other for anything.

Mar. 10 2014 12:59 PM
RLS from Manhattan

An image search on Google reveals she certainly possesses above average looks for 50.

Mar. 10 2014 12:59 PM
Peg

So happy to finally be 'old.' So happy to finally be 'invisible.' Finally 'free."

Mar. 10 2014 12:58 PM
Kate from Hamilton Heights

Hi Leonard - Your comment furthers a horrible myth, which is that good, expensive doctors do good surgery. What surgeons don't want you to know is that they CANNOT predict how the body will react and it is a crap shoot when you have plastic surgery. It is a cruel hoax that by choosing a good doctor, you'll get a good outcome. It's also a cruel hoax that expensive Park Avenue doctors are better than other doctors. Doctors don't want you to know the truth. I wish you or someone would do some exposing of these cruel lies -- it's a bigger story than the industry of plastics covering up their lies.

Mar. 10 2014 12:58 PM
Mort from Warren County, NJ

I recently turned 80, but I'm usually tagged at 62-65. I retired at 68, exhausted, not knowing I had cancer. Twelve years later, I teach part-time my health is good, & I'm taking up drawing after being a life-long photographer.

Mar. 10 2014 12:57 PM
foodaggro from Brooklyn

The aforementioned Apple Store "Genius" heard the beginning of this segment and has gone into hiding.

Mar. 10 2014 12:53 PM
Amy from Manhattan

AARP doesn't always get it right. The 1st time they sent me a card, I was 40! They were off by 10 years.

Mar. 10 2014 12:52 PM
foodaggro from Brooklyn

Gurwitch's photo(shopped image) here would lead one to believe that 50 is the new 30.

Mar. 10 2014 12:46 PM