Sunday with Schwartz

Airs Sunday at noon on The Jonathan Channel Channel and on WNYC 93.9 FM

« previous episode | next episode »

Sunday, February 16, 2014

The Jonathan Channel provides an intimate, insightful, and original approach to the Great American Songbook. You can enjoy this eclectic mix of beloved music by visiting TheJonathanChannel.org.

Episode Playlist:

Miles Davis – Someday My Prince Will Come – Love Songs

Kate McGarry – You’re My Thrill - If Less Is More...Nothing Is Everything

Glad – The Gershwin Medley – A Cappela Gershwin

Mel Torme – Gershwin Medley – Live At The Maisonette

George Gershwin – Someone To Watch Over Me – The Great Composers

Frank Sinatra – Someone To Watch Over Me – Nice ‘n’ Easy

Ella Fitzgerald/Louis Armstrong – They Can’t Take That Away From Me – Ella & Louis

Joni Mitchell – Rainy Night House - Ladies Of The Canyon

Sheila Jordan – Let’s Face The Music And Dance – Portrait Of Sheila

Sheila Jordan – The Very Thought Of You – Yesterdays

Al Jarreau – One Note Samba – Al Jarreau 1965

Bill Charlap – Only The Lonely – ‘S Wonderful

Frank Sinatra – South Of The Border – Come Fly With Me

Nancy LaMott – I Didn’t Know What Time It Was – Live At Tavern On The Green

Click here to stream The Jonathan Channel!

Click here for the complete day's playlist.

Hosted by:

Jonathan Schwartz
News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

len from brooklyn

jonathan speaks for all of us.he charms,disarms,informs,delights,and,in the end,its his show. he makes the music work.this is not an elevator- its a real,live man,his life,his personality,his style,all he brings to the microphone.
to ask him to talk less is insulting and ignorant. obviously this is a cultural gap- you have to have experienced what we have,Americans,that is,to get this show.

Feb. 19 2014 06:24 PM
dick walsh

i have been a fan of yours for close to 50 yrs,have talked with you on the air several times and in person aswellas your son. also saw you sing prof in ny.during this time ihave respected your taste in music and your many thoughts and ideas and during these many years have switched stations only once until this past sunday when you played sheila jordan "singing" lets face the music. thank you for allowing me to vent DICK WALSH

Feb. 19 2014 04:51 PM
dick walsh

Feb. 19 2014 04:51 PM
sophia

Please, will someone who found the playlist please provide a link to it?

Feb. 17 2014 09:09 PM

Deborah in Harrison (or anyone who can help).... where did you find Feb 16 Sunday playlist??

Feb. 17 2014 09:52 AM
vivienne hartman from ny

Please help!!
Where did you fine the playlist for the 2-3 hour yesterday feb 16

Feb. 17 2014 08:38 AM
Michael Cochran

I am also trying to find the playlist for this afternoon (around 1:30).
Where is it?

Feb. 16 2014 03:59 PM
Deborah from Hastings on Hudson

My namesake in Harrison, or anyone else, please advise: did you find an actual playlist for this segment now playing? I clicked back and forth and found exhaustive lists up until noon, but then nothing except a link, which then links back to the same page. Rrrrrr. One of those web things...

What I'm looking for is the stunning song by a male vocalist, slow, incantatory, unlike anything I've heard on this channel, with the line about ambition, etc. being 'handcuffs on the soul, my friend'... ending with 'my lake of sacred waters'...

It was on at about 2:40 today, give or take.
Thanks to anyone who can enlighten me.

Feb. 16 2014 03:15 PM
Margaret Hayter from NJ

That was a lovely medley, rather melancholy, but lovely. Thanks.

Feb. 16 2014 03:10 PM
Deborah

Ah! I just found the playlists for Sundays with Jonathan - I hereby take back my request!

Deborah in Harrison

Feb. 16 2014 02:58 PM
Deborah

Hello Jonathan. Lovely show this afternoon. I do wish that you'd consider posting a playlist simultaneously with the broadcast.
Thank you for your wonderful programs.

Deborah in Harrison

Feb. 16 2014 02:54 PM
Beverly Peltz from Aventura, Florida

We have been listening to your show since the great old days of WNEW. Your knowledge of the music equal to none.

You have enlarged our musical repetoire by introducing us to Tierney Sutton and Cyrille Aimee, whom we hope to see back in New York. However, have you forgotten Buddy Greco?

We are so glad that you have found this home on NPR.

thanks!

Feb. 16 2014 02:15 PM
Walter Farber from Airmont, NY, 10952

Hello Jonathan, A word about Shirley Horn's rendition of Too Late Now. Without a doubt, one of my all time favorite songs; I have it in iTunes by 23 different singers, from "Nancy" to Bing Cosby. Her tempo was painful to hear & though I know the lyrics backwards & forward, I could hardly keep the song together in my mind. I know Ms. Horn's work, having 61 of her songs on my hard drive. It was so slooow...I was in my car at the time & my arm kept moving to the dial, for relief. Only my love for the song & out of respect for you prevented me from changing stations. I had to get that off my chest, so I can continue to listen to you for the next three hours. Thanks for what you do & continue doing it for as long as you desire. I will be here! Thanks, Walter

Feb. 16 2014 12:52 PM
Louis

What a way to start the show with Biff Rose and "Molly"!
Always a favorite...