Streams

More Women are Cycling, and Bike Share Riders Are Safer: Study

Monday, February 10, 2014 - 04:00 AM

Chambers Street and the Hudson River bike path, June 2013 Citi Bike riders wait to return bikes at a full docking station. (Alex Goldmark)

A new bike study finds more women are riding bikes, and that users of the bike sharing system Citi Bike are safer riders than other cyclists.

Peter Tuckel, a Sociology professor at Hunter College, helped coordinate the study. He said the findings might help to explain why, "contrary to widespread expectations, there was no spike in the number of cycling-related injuries due to the advent of the bike share program," he said.

The study found Citi Bike users were more likely to use protected bike lanes, wear helmets, and follow other cycling safety rules. The report also found more women riding bikes, compared to the last time it was conducted nearly five years ago.

The study was conducted over the summer and in October. About 100 students observed randomly-selected cyclists at 98 different intersections in lower and central Manhattan. In all, more than 4,300 cyclists were observed.

Editors:

Gisele Regatao

Tags:

News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

Comments [1]

Very interesting study, but this excerpt raises questions abouyt tis methodology, at at least its math - i.e., a combined 'total' percentage is not the sum of the two percentages in each of of two subgroups, but rather the average of the two, weighted to their relative size:

"Overall, only 4.2 percent of cyclists were observed riding against traffic on the street and another 3.2 percent of cyclists were observed riding against traffic in the bike lane. This combined total of 7.4 percent riding against traffic was noticeably below the comparable figure recorded for 2009(13.2%)."

The correct total figure - perhaps 3.5%, far lower than most would guess - is important, if verifiable, to the never-ending bike-advocacy policy wars.

Feb. 10 2014 09:50 AM

Leave a Comment

Register for your own account so you can vote on comments, save your favorites, and more. Learn more.
Please stay on topic, be civil, and be brief.
Email addresses are never displayed, but they are required to confirm your comments. Names are displayed with all comments. We reserve the right to edit any comments posted on this site. Please read the Comment Guidelines before posting. By leaving a comment, you agree to New York Public Radio's Privacy Policy and Terms Of Use.

Sponsored