Share Your Summer Reading List!

Thursday, July 03, 2014

beach book beach reading The beach is a great place to read. (Copyright: Claudia Paulussen/Shutterstock)

What books are you bringing with you when you go on vacation this summer? Have there been books on your nightstand that you've been waiting to read? Let us know what you're reading—at the beach, by the lake, or on the subway. Leave a comment below!

Tags:

More in:

Ricardo Cordero from Rockland, New York

Recently read The Power Broker: Robert Moses and the Fall of New York. It is amazing to see the role that one person played in shaping our city. More then just a biography; Caro chronicled the emergence of a global city. It has shifted how I view New York; has given me a greater understanding of the social issues that Moses incubated.

Aug. 27 2014 01:56 PM
Carol Davis from NJ

After listening to the author interviewed on WNYC, I bought the book "Kinder Than Solitude" and recently finished it. It is one of the most well-written fiction books I have read in ages!

Jul. 31 2014 12:46 AM
Nancy from Morristown, NJ

I'm reading Alan Bradley's The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie and the rest of his Flavia de Luce series. I love them all. Flavia is a wickedly clever 11 year old chemist/sleuth in 1950s England. I'm listening to Science Friday as I type and I can't help but think Flavia would love this show. I imagine she would suggest to Ira Plato that he add more segments on poisons...

Jul. 25 2014 02:39 PM
Chris from Columbus, GA

The Short & Storied Life of A.J. Fikery by Gabrielle Zevin

Euphoria by Lily King

Jul. 16 2014 06:10 PM
Bobbie from Long Island, NY

I finished and LOVED Dennis Lehane's The Given Day. Mystic River and his other novels are gritty and great. This one plants you in 1918 in Boston and was full of great history and drama. Every page was full of tension that kept me so worried about the characters I had come to really care about.

Sea of Poppies by Amitov Ghosh is a fascinating novel about India, China, and the British during the opium trade. I am working on the sequel, River of Smoke now.

Jul. 16 2014 04:06 PM
JMHB from Manhattan

"All the Light We Cannot See" by Anthony Doerr. So far, so beautiful.

Jul. 16 2014 03:29 PM
Jaytoe Lawrence from NYC

The author of Americanah's middle name is Ngozi, Ngozo. Sorry for the typo.

Jul. 16 2014 02:29 PM
Jaytoe Lawrence from Harlem, NYC

Just finished reading Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozo Adichie, a fabulous epic about race, culture and love which spans three continents and provides great insight on the diversity of black people, contrasting American and Non-American Blacks in thought-invoking narrative. Also enjoyed George Saunders' December 10th, a collection of short stories that you wish would not end.

Jul. 16 2014 02:20 PM
Luisa from NYC

I read the Goldfinch. It was a great story. A dramatic coming of age story. I particularly liked the setting which begins in New York City at the Metropolitan Museum of art!

Jul. 12 2014 01:31 PM
Valerie Gladstone from New York

My summer read is "Life on the Mississippi".

Jul. 10 2014 01:37 PM
Ivy Perez from Chicago, IL

I'm currently reading Raising Expectations (Raising Hell) by Jane McAlevey, after I heard an interview with her on WNYC (can't remember if it was on Lopate or Lehrer--love ya both!)

After that, I'm going to dive into Shadow Country by Peter Matthiessen, which I coincidentally bought just a week before his death.

Jul. 07 2014 01:28 PM
Tim Young from Sedona, AZ

Just finished Tortilla Flats by Steinbeck. Learn what a dollar really means.

Now I'm reading There is No End to this Slope by my pal Richard Fulco.
Great stuff about a writer/text book salesman who has big plans but little action.
Also a bunch of cool rock n roll references. Yum, my favorite.

After that I think I'll be hungry for some short stories.

Jul. 03 2014 02:55 PM

Once I started reading “The Shenanigans of Time”, a wonderful debut novel by P.A. Chawla, I could not put it down. In this series of interconnected yet diverse short stories, I found myself immersed in the lives of the characters and the events unfolding around them. Story-telling at its best and a truly enjoyable read.

Jul. 03 2014 01:34 PM
Wayne Johnson Ph.D. from Bk

I am reading "The Interior Circuit-A Chronicle of Mexico City" by Francisco Goldman. An extension of his beautiful "Say Her Name", Mr. Goldman ( a recent guest on the Lopate show) is a mesmerizing writer. Also "The Men We Reaped" by Jesmyn Ward--telling the truth about the way we value African American men in America. I appreciate the other listeners enhancing my reading opportunities.

Jul. 03 2014 01:04 PM
Marijcke Rolls from NYC 10022

I am reading Wild Vanilla, a wonderful collection of personal stories of traveling in the South Pacific. The tales take me from Sydney, to Tahiti, Fiji, Samoa, Guam and every island in between.They are transporting me to perfect white sand beaches and the decks of sailing ships.... I feel like I am already on holiday!

Jul. 03 2014 12:55 PM
Alexa from Wilmington, DE

War and Peace! But I'm unfortunately not at a beach. I expect this will save me from a terrific sunburn, though.

Jul. 03 2014 12:53 PM
Daniel from Los Angeles

"Charleston," the brilliant debut novel by the scholar Margaret Bradham Thornton, had me spell-bound from first page to last. It is a haunting story about lost love and second chances, set in a beguiling world of old estates and overgrown marshes. A beautiful novel, perfect for the summer and indeed for any season.

Jul. 03 2014 12:18 PM
Gregg from Astoria Queens

Me? Reading again a collection of Doctor Who short stories. Each of them are about the Doctor, that excellent example of what's right in science fiction and fantasy.

Jul. 03 2014 11:37 AM
Martin O from Flushing, NY

As a commemoration of the hundredth anniversary of the beginning of World War I, I am reading Paul Fussell's The Great War and Modern Memory. It is one of the best books that I have ever read. The other two books that I intend to read this summer are Thomas Mann's The Magic Mountain and Roz Chast's book about her parents,Can't We Talk about Something More Pleasant?.

Jul. 03 2014 11:22 AM
R.W. from Manhattan

My vacation read was The Journal of Vincent Du Maurier by K.P. Ambroziak.
Post-Apocalyptic, mythological, passionate vampires....what's not to like?

Jul. 03 2014 10:44 AM
Pam from NYC

I know everyone has already read it, but I've been waiting for summer vacation to read (775-page) The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt. Then perhaps a quick-read mystery a la J.A. Jance or Sue Grafton. Another commenter suggested The Invention of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd, which sounds really interesting. Finally, having recently read The Aviator's Wife, a novel of historical fiction about Anne Morrow Lindbergh, wife of Charles, I may read Philip Roth's The Plot Against America, just to dispise Lindbergh a little more.

Jul. 03 2014 10:18 AM
Joseph horne

The Retrospective by A B Yehoshua.

Jul. 03 2014 09:58 AM
Michael Putman from Bronx

How about the 685 page hardback of Thomas Piketty's "Capital in the 21st Century" and a Kindle of Patricia Harman's "The Midwife of Hope River"? Not exactly typical of a mid-70s white guy after morning exercises, but both have captivated me.

Jul. 03 2014 08:53 AM
Andrea from Spring Valley, NY

Sue Monk Kidd, The Invention of Wings, is outstanding for historical fiction that slips you into the pre-Civil War south. A must-read in the sun!

Jul. 03 2014 07:39 AM
Norma Bernstock from Milford, PA

For weeks now I've been trying to read Leaving the Atocha Station by Ben Learner but since I read when I get into bed, I always fall asleep! I will set aside reading time for this book this summer as well as for The Pat Boone Fan Club by Sue William Silverman (because my best friend from 4th grade dragged me to a Pat Boone concert once we could travel alone on the subway). Finally, to the End of the Land by David Grossman,has been on my nightstand for too long. I intend to read it then hopefully add it to my bookshelf because I'll like it so much that I won't be able to give it up yet to the library book sale!

Jul. 03 2014 07:38 AM
Natasha from NYC

I'm reading Tom Robbins' Tibetan Peach Pie and intend to read his earlier works. Just love the playful style!

Jul. 03 2014 07:31 AM
Lawrence Cohen from Adirondack Mountains, New York State

At age 65, I am trying to read all of the books that I was assigned in college back in the 1960s, but never read or read the Jr Classic Comic Book edition. Without promoting one e-reader over another, let's just say I am taking a shit-load of books and hope to get through 10% of them. I am 80% through Crime and Punishment...not bad for a guy such as I....but I have to make a confession...when I want to take a break from the reading and from staring at the goddesses that dot the beaches these days, I start to play Black Jack on my reader. And, then we I have lost all my money, I go back to reading and staring.

Jul. 03 2014 07:12 AM