Seán Hemingway on The Sun Also Rises

Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Ernest Hemingway's first novel, The Sun Also Rises, is the quintessential story of the Lost Generation. The story follows Lady Brett Ashley and Jake Barnes and their carousing friends from the nightclubs of 1920s Paris to the bull fights in Spain. It looks at the disillusionment of the post-World War I generation,  but, at its heart, the novel is about unrequited love. Ernest Hemingway’s grandson, Seán Hemingway, will be here to discuss a new edition of the novel—and the early drafts and notes that show the author’s process. Leave your questions for him by leaving a comment, below!

Sean Hemingway

Bob from Cranford, NJ

Harold Loeb graduated from Princeton in 1913.

Jul. 29 2014 12:29 PM
Greg from Brooklyn

Was the character Brett based on a real person?

Jul. 29 2014 12:17 PM
Jose Miguel from NYC

I am a listener from Pamplona,(Spain) even if I live now in NY. The Sun Also Rises put my hometown in the world map. At that time yes, he was maybe the only American there, but now the city receives thousands and thousands of Americans and other foreigners trying to enjoy as he did.

Jul. 29 2014 12:14 PM
Jose Miguel from NYC

Jul. 29 2014 12:13 PM
Marian from New York, NY

I knew the widow of one of Ernest Hemingway's cousins. She was an Oberlin graduate as was her husband. According to her, most of the Hemingways went to Oberlin and that Ernest's father reaction to the novel was that it was trash and that "If Ernest had gone to Oberlin, he would never have written that." I wonder if Mr. Hemingway had heard that story and whether he knew of the negative reaction of Ernest's relatives.

Jul. 29 2014 12:12 PM
pennywhistler from Trenton

"at its heart, the novel is about unrequited love"

At it's heart it is about anti-semitism and other forms of class snobbery that just happens to be set in an exotic location.

Jul. 25 2014 01:04 PM
DC from Sunset Park

Has Mr. Hemingway ever met that infamous impersonator of his Grandfather's, commonly seen in Spain according to James Michener's Iberia, Kenneth Vanderford?

Jul. 23 2014 01:50 PM
jim douglas from Ocean Grove, NJ

Elucidate the influence of Joyce and Fitzgerald on Hemingway at this time, specifically regarding the character of Robert Cohn, a Jew like Joyce's Bloom and a writer from Princeton like Fitzgerald.

Jul. 23 2014 11:23 AM