Scott Adams on Failure, Success, and Dilbert

Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Scott Adams tells how he went from hapless office worker and serial failure to the creator of the popular comic strip Dilbert. In How to Fail at Almost Everything and Still Win Big, Adams shares of how he’s failed at just about everything he’s tried, including his corporate career, his inventions, his investments, and his two restaurants. But through those failures he discovered some unlikely truths that helped him move forward.

Dilbert
Images used with permission. Copyright Scott Adams, 2013.
Dilbert
Images used with permission. Copyright Scott Adams, 2013.
Dilbert
Images used with permission. Copyright Scott Adams, 2013.
Dilbert
Images used with permission. Copyright Scott Adams, 2013.

Scott Adams

Tony from Canarsie

lontjr --- Ironically, his endorsement of the super-straight Mormon Romney had to do with legalizing marijuana. Quoting Mr. Adams: "Romney is likely to continue the same drug policies as the Obama administration. But he's enough of a chameleon and a pragmatist that one can't be sure."

As the kids say, derp!

Dec. 11 2013 01:18 PM
Joe from nearby

Dilbert Characters Unite!

Dec. 11 2013 01:12 PM
Truth & Beauty from Brooklyn

I like the comic, though the TV version sucks. I've also read one of Mr. Adams' older books - the one in which he discusses "affirmations." He claims to love the "affirmations," and that they worked like a charm for him. I tried them, but with zero success. Ask him about that, please.

Dec. 11 2013 01:10 PM
Carol from Staten Island

Will the Dilbert TV show be coming back? Loved it!

Dec. 11 2013 01:09 PM
Juli from Skillman, NJ

I love Dilbert. I have read my Dilbert e-mail for well over 10 years and compare notes with my husband. What is ironic is that Dilbert addresses issues that my husband and I experience on a daily basis. We joke that, somewhere, Scott Adams is watching our daily work interactions and creating Dilbert around those situations.

Dec. 11 2013 12:18 PM
jgarbuz from Queens

I love Dilbert, but I think to fully appreciate the series in depth you'd have to have worked in the hi tech industry of the 1980s. I haven't worked in high tech since 1990 and so I wonder if company cultures have really changed as radically as the dress codes have.

Dec. 11 2013 11:51 AM

Please tell me that your endorsement of Romney was some sort of joke.

Dec. 11 2013 08:57 AM