Saturday with Jonathan Schwartz - November 2, 2013

Airs Saturday at noon on The Jonathan Channel stream and 8pm ET on 93.9 FM

« previous episode | next episode »

Saturday, November 02, 2013

This Saturday was another great mix of music and wonderful remembrances from Jonathan Schwartz. Above, hear Jonathan's story of his father's pen pal and longtime friend - Irving Berlin! Also, check out the playlist below to find out exactly what you heard, or may have missed, this weekend. Enjoy!

The Jonathan Channel provides an intimate, insightful, and original approach to the Great American Songbook. You can enjoy this eclectic mix of beloved music by visiting TheJonathanChannel.org.

Playlist:

Nat King Cole – I Love You For Sentimental Reasons – The World Of Nat King Cole

Gerry Mulligan/Paul Desmond – All The Things You Are -  Two Of A Mind

Tierney Sutton/Al Jarreau – Be Cool – After Blue

Al Jarreau – A Sleepin’ Bee – 1965

Frank Sinatra/Harry James – From The Bottom Of My Heart – The Complete Recordings 1939

Meredith D’Ambrosio – You And The Night And The Music - By Myself

Lee Michaels - Heighty Hi – Lee Michaels

Louis Armstrong – I’m Crazy ‘Bout My Baby – Satch Plays Fats

Jessica Molaskey – Hearts And Bones – Sitting In Limbo

Frank Sinatra – When I Take My Sugar To Tea – Ring A Ding Ding

Frank Sinatra – How Could You Do A Thing Like That To Me? – Come Swing With Me

Frank Sinatra – You Brought A New Kind Of Love To Me – Songs For Swingin’ Lovers

Frank Sinatra – Makin’ Whoopee – Songs For Swingin’ Lovers

Frank Sinatra – Ol’ Macdonald – The Complete Capitol Singles Collection

Frank Sinatra - Always - Sinatra's Swiingin' Session

Frank Sinatra – All Through The Night – Six Decades Of Classic Ballads

Frank Sinatra – With A Song In My Heart – Portraits From The Past

Frank Sinatra – What is This Thing Called Love? – In The Wee Small Hours

The McGarrigle Sisters – Green Green Rocky Road – The McGarrigle Hour

Rebecca Luker – He Never Did That Before – Greenwich Time

Shadowfax – The Dreams Of Children – A Windham Hill Retrospective

Diana Panton – A Little Girl A Little Boy A Little Moon - If The Moon Turns Green

Mel Torme – Little Man, You’ve Had A Busy Day – A Vintage Year

Barbra Streisand – Children Will Listen – Children Will Listen

Bernadette Peters – Children And Art – Sunday In The Park With George

Carly Simon – Itsy Bitsy Spider – Coming Around Again

Billie Holiday – Easy Living – Lady Day:  The Master Takes And Singles

Clifford Brown – Easy Living – Memorial Album

Fred Astaire – New Sun In The Sky – The Astaire Story

Tony Bennett – Shakin’ The Blues Away – Bennett-Berlin

Pete McGuinness – Who Cares? – Voice Like A Horn

Sarah Vaughan – Gershwin Medley – Live At Ronnie’s

Paul Weston – The Folks Who Live On The Hill – The Columbia Album Of Jerome Kern

Diana Krall – The Folks Who Live On The Hill – Only Trust Your Heart

Benny Goodman – After You’ve Gone – After You’ve Gone

Ella Fitzgerald – September Song – The Intimate Ella

Tony Bennett – You’re Nearer – Together Again

Nancy LaMott – The Summer Knows/Summer Me, Winter Me – Listen To My Heart

Hosted by:

Jonathan Schwartz
News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

Wojciech Migda from Kraków, Poland

Bill,

maybe you'd like to use any of the direct links to the stream:
rtsp://wnyc-wowza.streamguys.com/js-stream/js-stream.stream

I am using MP3 one on my Ubuntu, it streams at 128kb/s.

Nov. 05 2013 01:46 AM
Scott Parsons from Tipp City, Ohio

What a great thing! I just found out about your Channel from the New Yorker article and immediately found it on my computer and tuned it in. I loved it immediately and know I'll be listening to it a lot. Thank you!

Nov. 04 2013 07:17 PM
Pete McGuinness from Brooklyn, NY

Just wanted to save thanks for playing my CD! Glad you chose "Who Cares?", one of my favorite Gershwin tunes. Hope you'll give one of the others a spin too. I am a long-time fan of your show, so I'm especially grateful and thrilled.
Thanks again.
-Pete McGuinness

Nov. 04 2013 05:38 PM
mmcd from Boston, MA

I'm so happy to have Jonathan available every day! I always feel like I've attended a class on the American Songbook. Because of Jonathan's suggestion, I downloaded Tom Wolpat's new album -- and he was right -- it is almost a perfect album!

Nov. 04 2013 01:13 PM
Tonero from Brooklyn

Hi Jonathan, I loved the selection of songs you played while your children were in your thoughts. Great show.

Nov. 03 2013 02:46 PM
V. Laslow from Inland Empire, CA

I've only been listening to Jonathan for less than a year. He is truly "getting to be a habit with me."

This channel is just what I was hoping for.

Congratulations!

Nov. 02 2013 09:19 PM
WilliamSacher from Little Falls New Jersey

why can I stream the Jonathan Channel on my galaxy s4

Nov. 02 2013 03:10 PM
Nan

Happy, happy, happy to be able to listen to Mr. Schwartz again.

Nov. 02 2013 01:05 PM
Bill Gillespie

For the last 55 minutes I've been trying to listen to Jonathan Schwartz via TheJonathanChannel.org. I get a player to pop up but it says Paused: The Jonathan Channel. No matter how many times I click on play, I can't get it to "unpause." I've restarted my computer but the same thing happens. Can someone please help me? I've already missed nearly an hour of Jonathan, an unacceptable state of affairs!!

Nov. 02 2013 12:55 PM
Mike R from Monterey, CA

Jonathan --

Thanks for coming back to your many fans -- via WNYC with website and streaming. Looking forward to John Pizzarelli, and the rest of the gang, as you develop the channel.

In reading yesterday's comments, Amy from NYC had me laughing out loud. In all the years I've been listening to JS, I've had to walk back and forth -- to the Bose Radio (connected to my computer) -- to adjust the volume. Jonathan's lush but low register voice often is not adjusted to the same volume level as the music. From my calculations, I've spent three months of my life adjusting the sound to hear Jon's informed commentary.
A very small inconvenience -- believe me!

All the best!

Nov. 02 2013 12:25 PM

You can listen at www.thejonathanchannel.org. Just click the play button and the player will pop up.

Nov. 02 2013 12:12 PM
Will Mackenzie from Sherman Oaks, CA

How do we get The Jonathan Channel or anything hosted by Jonathan way out in the wilds of Los Angeles?

Nov. 01 2013 03:28 PM