Streams

Sandy Victims Get 6 More Months to File FEMA Docs

Tuesday, October 01, 2013

After pressure from a number of lawmakers, FEMA announced on Tuesday that it will grant an additional six month extension for Sandy survivors to file Proof of Loss statements, which are the first step in appealing a flood insurance settlement.

The move is unprecedented, as the filing window after previous natural disasters has never been extended beyond a year.

Last week, nearly two dozen Senators and members of Congress from both New York and New Jersey signed onto a letter to FEMA Administrator Craig Fugate, arguing that many of their constituents have been mired in bureaucratic red tape and need more time to complete the paperwork. FEMA will now give them until the end of April and says it will monitor claim activity to determine whether further extensions may be warranted.

Tags:

News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

Comments [1]

Carole Phillippi from 57 Seaview Avenue, Brick, NJ

In Sandy our furnace, hot water heater, and air conditioning unit were damaged and after trying to save them we are now told we need to replace all of them . After every thing we went through we wanted to apply for further assistance with the cost. Being on a fixed income we really need help.

Oct. 16 2013 10:47 AM

Leave a Comment

Register for your own account so you can vote on comments, save your favorites, and more. Learn more.
Please stay on topic, be civil, and be brief.
Email addresses are never displayed, but they are required to confirm your comments. Names are displayed with all comments. We reserve the right to edit any comments posted on this site. Please read the Comment Guidelines before posting. By leaving a comment, you agree to New York Public Radio's Privacy Policy and Terms Of Use.

Sponsored