Russell Simmons on How to Keep the Peace

Thursday, July 31, 2014

Russell Simmons (Wikimedia Commons)

Russell Simmons, co-founder of Def Jam Records, founder of Phat Farm, and lots more, discusses the Keep The Peace grant program (through RushCard) he's leading that is designed to support community based organizations that are reducing violence in their neighborhoods. He's joined by Erica Ford, one of the recipients, to talk about her work with LIFE Camp, Inc.

simmons is a clown.

Jul. 31 2014 11:09 AM
genejoke from Brooklyn

"If you a vegan, don't run a steakhouse."

Big phony. Every word drips with insincerity. He's selling himself to himself.

Jul. 31 2014 11:09 AM
john from office

Wow the policing is the root cause of all african american problems, not lack of parenting.

We should obviously stop policing all african american areas and seek balance in our prison population. All prisons must be majority white!!!

Jul. 31 2014 11:08 AM
foodaggro from Brooklyn

*john from office

I gots my money, I got paid!, Now I am a buddist and will tell you how to live."

That about sums it up.

Jul. 31 2014 11:06 AM
fuva from harlemworld

Nah. Don't think these folk have the answer.

Jul. 31 2014 11:05 AM
fuva from harlemworld

Please fact-check Russell's claims about violence levels.

Jul. 31 2014 11:02 AM
john from office

I gots my money, I got paid!, Now I am a buddist and will tell you how to live.

Jul. 31 2014 11:02 AM
Bobby G from East Village

The community needs to take some responsibility. The violence will not stop until "Don't Snitch" is dumped. Concerned people need to work with the police to report those who have guns. Somebody knows who has a gun.

Jul. 31 2014 10:57 AM
Li'l Yung Killah from Harlem

Nice of Simmons to try to undo all the damage his company has done to American culture for the past 28 years. He's made a tidy profit from the exploitation and dehumanization of young African-American men. Not to mention glorifying misogyny and violence. What a phoney!

Call him on it, Brian. I dare you.

And take that stupid hat off! Everyone knows you're bald!

Jul. 31 2014 10:54 AM