30 Issues: Rockland County Executive Race

Friday, October 18, 2013

30 Issues in 30 Days goes beyond the horse-race to look at the issues that matter in this Fall's elections. See the full schedule and archive here.

Laura Incalcaterra, Journal News reporter, talks about the candidates running to replace Scott Vanderhoef as Rockland County executive.

Laura Incalcaterra

Some points in response to the post from Kressel from Monsey (Oct. 18 2013 02:47 PM):

(As evidenced below, I consider Kressel misguided in a number of areas. Nonetheless, I have long respected her as a person of conscience, integrity, sincerity and kindness.)

"My philosophy is to live a conservative life personally, but have a liberal attitude toward others."

Such radical social policies as support for unrestricted abortion-on-demand and the "LGBTQ" agenda (which, among many other things, promotes a gruesome, inordinately disease-spreading act[1]) are insidious and corrosive-- on numerous levels, EVEN FROM A PURELY *SECULAR* PERSPECTIVE.

They /also/ entail grave violations of the *universal* moral code that the Torah prescribes for *all* of humanity.
(In distinction to laws and directives that apply only to /Jews/, such as the Sabbath and kosher dietary restrictions.)

"Most Hasidics vote Republican because of family values issues, and they've accepted the libertarian economics message as part of the package."

Let me just note that odd political realities and aligments (in the U.S.A. at least) notwithstanding, there is absolutely no inherent alliance between moral/cultural traditionalism/conservatism/rightism and the Darwinian, often radical views on economics and foreign policy that are referred-to as "conservative" and embraced by today's Republican party. (as well as, to a great degree the Democrats)

On the contrary, if anyone needs to answer and reconcile here, it would be those who speak of G-d and morality while supporting policies that entail unbridled greed, hedonistic indulgence, predation and exploitation.

Today's Republicans and Democrats are but two wings of the same bird of prey.

(William Jennings Bryan has been a perennial among my write-ins when voting.)

NOTES:
[1] I elaborate upon this in some detail in numerous posts I have made to this site. Click-on my user name to find them. Among the facts I cite are the existence of men who are emphatically and actively homoesexual but who reject and renounce the act of buggery (anal penetration) and its central place in "gay culture". As evidenced at sites such as Bill Weintraub's man2manalliance.org (contains graphic content) and Rob McGee's funfrotfacts.blogspot.com.
(Requisite Disclaimer: Citing/quoting != endorsement)

This just in, from the Netherlands Journal of Medicine:
The increasing incidence of anal cancer: can it be explained by trends in risk groups?

Oct. 23 2013 03:59 AM

As an Orthodox Jew (who, for the purposes of this discussion at least, could be considered "Hasidic") I find it necessary, though painful, to note the following here.

For some time now, the Orthodox and, especially, Hasidic communities have been suffering from both a general, overall crisis in leadership as well as a number of specific disputes. I know from personal experience that all of these communities still possess many fine, and even exceptional people. But alas, we no longer possess the type of exceptional individuals with that rare combination of righteousness, wisdom, foresight, scholarship, affability and other qualities that accounted for the competence, effectiveness and near-universal acceptance that our truly great leaders of the past enjoyed. Of the truly righteous, wise and learned men who do remain, some (if not /many/) are naive and largely unaware of worldly affairs. Such men are exploited both by those who may mean well but are irresponsible, rash and short-sighted, as well as by those have less-than-noble motivations. Any power that those with integrity who /are/ savvy have is at best limited.

This is an essential factor to bear in mind when discussing issues that relate to the Orthodox and Hasidic communities.

(This state of chaos, confusion and corruption is all predicted in the Talmud and other texts.)

Oct. 23 2013 02:11 AM
Roundabout

New Square is not the entire Hasidic community, though too many Rocklanders think so. In the Clinton-Lazio race in 2000, New Square was the only Hasidic community in the state (including KJ, Kaser, Bklyn) to go for Clinton and its vote was meaningless. The Hasidic 'bloc' - comprising New Square, Kaser, Monsey and Spring Valley - is led by different rabbis and factions.

FYI: President Clinton commuted the sentences by about a year for the New Square 4.

Re Joe from Rockland
@jgarbuz They supported Hillary in a block vote during the Senate race.. B. Clinton pardoned 4 New Square criminals in his final days... http://www.sfgate.com/politics/article/Justice-Dept-won-t-file-charges-in-Clinton-2806125.php

Oct. 19 2013 12:44 PM
Kressel from Monsey, NY

Hi. I'm the closet liberal of the Hasidic community. Most Hasidics vote Republican because of family values issues, and they've accepted the libertarian economics message as part of the package. My philosophy is to live a conservative life personally, but have a liberal attitude toward others.

And on that note, because of Brian's coverage of the East Ramapo issue, I've gone to a few school board meetings, pelted them with emails about grant money from private sources, and befriended a student at Spring Valley High School who lives across the street from my shul. I'm paying $5000 year in school taxes, and my kids' yeshivas are taking the cut in less frequent payments, so the unfairness of the situation isn't all on one side. Still, I give my money, and I shared what information I had. Peace.

Oct. 18 2013 02:47 PM
Joe from Rockland

Hasidic's vote Republican????

Oct. 18 2013 11:34 AM
jgarbuz from Queens

I'm no fan of the Hassidim, either here or in Israel, but they generally do a lot for their own communities. They are insular and generally take care of their own business. But yes, they will also take advantage of every program the government has to offer. For sure. But if the gov't will offer fewer programs, they will take advantage of fewer such programs. If they vote at all, they generally vote more Republican than Democratic.

Oct. 18 2013 11:05 AM
Joe from Rockland

Any coincidence that we are in so much financial trouble and that we have one of the largest Hasidic communities in the world as well as a very large immigrant population? Each of these communities have a large presence in the social services world.

Oct. 18 2013 10:45 AM
mary from rockland

Why did the guest not mention Preserve Rockland's candidate, Ed Day.

Oct. 18 2013 10:44 AM