Episode #63

Robert Lustig and Martin Horn

« previous episode | next episode »

Monday, March 17, 2014

Dr. Robert Lustig, a pediatric endocrinologist at UC San Francisco, studied brain tumors in children and began to see a connection between sugar and childhood medical problems, addiction, and lethargy. According to Lustig, sugar is as addictive as cocaine, heroin and crack, and is producing the fattest, least-healthy Americans yet.

Former New York City Commissioner of Correction and Probation, Martin Horn has held every job imaginable in corrections: from debating the fairness of a state’s sentencing guidelines to fixing leaky water pipes in aging facilities. Horn tells Alec that his opinion toward inmates was formed from his early years as a parole officer: “every one of them was just a normal, ordinary guy … who had made bad judgments.” Though, nowadays Martin Horn has moved on: "It was a fascinating career. I am absolutely glad I’m done."

Christopher Mahon from United States

Isn't anyone listening to Martin Horn? What a waste. A lifetime of hands on experience with a world of reform minded advise to offer and apparently no one to initiate change.

Dec. 13 2014 12:05 PM
Patience Ellis from Toronto Canada

I want to re hear the Martin Horn interview with Alec
Baldwin on HERE's The Thing - I thought Alec Baldwin was brilliant in these interviews and am devastated that I cannot get them any more HELP! Patience Ellis

Apr. 21 2014 10:57 AM
DTorres from Manhattan

I am a diabetic and after listening to Dr. Robert Lustig, I eliminated or
tried to eliminate all sugar from my diet.
I threw out the Agave, cane sugar, brown sugar, and carefully read labels,
and buy stuff with as little sugar as possible.
I buy the unsweetened almond and soy milk, and yogurts without added
fruit. I have lost weight, my cholesterol, blood sugar numbers have gone
way down. I also incorporated bitter melon into my diet, that I get
in Canal Street, China Town for $1.00 a bitter melon. Bitter Melon is
sometimes sold in the Union Square Whole Foods for $5.00 each.
I just feel so much better without the sugar.
I love cupcakes, Haagen Daz vanilla ice cream, cheesecake, so it was
really hard for me, but I did it and feel so much better.
I switched from white rice to brown rice to quinoa.
I used to make rice, beans and meat and for vegetables have an avocado,
with tomato, onions.
I threw out the rice, no longer cook rice, of any kind, white or brown
and threw out the salt as well. No sugar, no salt.
And carefully reading of food labels.
I stopped buying Trader Joe's black beans, because of the high sodium
and switched to WholeFoods Supermarket no salt kidney, black and pink beans.
I no longer buy any of TJ's juice, except for the cranberry juice.
I love pasta, gave that up as well.
I bought a Vitamix Juicer and make all sorts of green juice made
from vegetables that I find in Chinatown, really cheap.
My grandmother and my aunt both were diabetics and lost their eyesight,
and my grandmother lost her leg as well.
I do not want to end up like that.

Mar. 25 2014 04:11 PM
louis linsley from bridgeville PA

Both of these interviews are retreads from previous shows.

I guess Alec is so convinced of Dr. Lustig's anti-sugar campaign; that it deserved to be re-broadcasted. Why not re-interview?

Over consumption of sugar IS a bad American trait, but to totally eliminate it from one's diet is an extreme knee-jerk reaction. I'd always thought Alec was more thoughtful than that.

I still like the show and Alec's efforts here.

Mar. 20 2014 02:28 PM
Heather Olsson from IL

Legalizing drugs is the right thing to do but the government has too much invested in the 'war' on drugs. Calling High Fructose Corn Syrup and dangerous substance is the right thing to do but the government has too much invested in subsidizing corn crops.
This is the fascinating commonality between these two guests. Thanks for the show...keep it coming.

Mar. 19 2014 10:47 PM

Ya, dead again. One more week and I'm dumping it from my Downcast feed.

Mar. 17 2014 05:32 PM
Burtrand

D/L Link is dead. Again this week.

Mar. 17 2014 12:43 AM