Recipe: Jeff Henderson's Mashed Butternut Squash
Friday, November 01, 2013
WHAT YOU’LL NEED
1 large butternut squash, peeled
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 tablespoon light brown sugar
1/3 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
Kosher salt to taste
1/3 cup heavy (whipping) cream
Freshly ground white pepper to taste
WHAT TO DO
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
2. With a sharp chef’s knife, cut the squash in half lengthwise and remove the seeds with a spoon.
3. Place the halves, cut side up, in a baking dish. Add 2 tablespoons of the butter, the brown sugar, spices, and a sprinkle of salt to the halves. Add about 1/4 inch water to the bottom of the dish and cover with aluminum foil. Bake until the squash is easily pierced with a knife, 45 to 50 minutes.
4. When the squash is cool enough to handle, cut into smaller chunks and transfer to a mixer bowl. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon butter and the cream and beat until the squash is smooth, about 2 minutes.
5. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve.
From If You Can See It, You Can Be It, by Chef Jeff Henderson. Published by SmileyBooks, ©2013