Raising Bees in the City: A Hands-on Guide

Tuesday, September 02, 2014

Beekeeper Jim Fischer and a fallen bee tree in need of rescuing. Beekeeper Jim Fischer and a fallen bee tree in need of rescuing. (Jessica Katz/Jim Fischer)

Beekeeping used to be illegal in New York City, but since it was legalized 2010 it has has become increasingly popular, with beehives popping up on city rooftops and in backyards and community gardens. Beekeeper James Fischer tells us how beekeeping in the city works, the life cycle of honeybees, what is killing them off, and why urban beekeeping might be helpful in preventing this loss. Fischer teaches the “Absolutely Free Beekeeping Course.”

James Fischer

Victor Gangi from Fresh Meadows, Queens

Would like to learn how to BeeKeep.

Sep. 03 2014 08:28 AM
Eve Sheridan

Please don't make the mistake of confusing yellow jackets and honeybees, they look a bit alike, but they are totally different animals.

Sep. 02 2014 01:36 PM
Joe from nearby

Would your guest please speak up? He's a low talker.

Sep. 02 2014 01:25 PM
tom from westbury

I had my first bees this year. I had them in my backyard in suburban long island. Although I kept the hives 10 feet from a six foot fence, and kept it low key, when the bees swarmed (a 30 foot high black cloud of bees) the cat was out of the bag. That swarm went away, the remaining bees kept growing, split intro two healthy hives. I finally called a beekeeping buddy and sent them away. I will keep bees again, but not in this neighborhood.

Sep. 02 2014 01:23 PM
pliny from soho

i read that some people feed their bees corn syrup
is this a legitimate process or a cheap way to make honey?

Sep. 02 2014 01:22 PM
John from NYC

Don't want to be a spoiler but with three yellowjacket beehives in my yard, I was wondering if you could discuss how to safely eliminate bees from your backyard. It seems they are everywhere with such a small yard. Thank you.

Sep. 02 2014 12:30 PM