Prescribing Psychedelic Mushrooms for Anxiety

Thursday, April 24, 2014

A research team at NYU is experimenting with using hallucinogenic drugs to help cancer patients come to terms with their mortality. Reporter Roc Morin talks about his article in The Atlantic, “Prescribing Mushrooms for Anxiety.”

Roc Morin

I'm so glad this story was featured. I was a participant in the NYU psilocybin study and was also interviewed for the article in the Atlantic. I had a very, very profound and positive experience that allowed me to address anxiety and help me understand the narrative of my life. This is a well designed and supported study that has top notch doctors and staff. I'm excited about the renaissance in psychedelic research that is gaining traction and helping a lot of people.

Apr. 25 2014 05:52 PM
Lila from Pa.

I once had an incredibly frightening experience on mushrooms. I thought I was dying. Horrible! It was not my first mushroom experience. I had a few good ones but you never know what direction the experience will go. It does heighten whatever mood that you are experiencing. That being said I think that it would be even scarier if you had discomfort to begin with like having a life threatening disease and facing death already. It is not for everyone. Also some people are highly allergic to molds and mushrooms are pure fungus.

Apr. 24 2014 01:53 PM
Peter from Manhattan

This is how everyone should use mushrooms, with a full staff at hand and anti-anxiety and anti-psychotic meds should things get mucky. Please: What is the playlist on the headphones???

Apr. 24 2014 01:39 PM
Avery S from NJ

How about Ayahausca? There is evidence that this drug works for depression, addiction as well as anxiety.

Apr. 24 2014 01:38 PM
foodaggro from Brooklyn

Sign me up!

Apr. 24 2014 01:37 PM
Stephan from Manhattan

I have had anxiety disorder for pretty much my whole life, and I had a TERRIFYING experience with mushrooms. How is this even a consideration?

Apr. 24 2014 01:29 PM
John A

And the joke is is that the atheistic croud will repeat "religion is the opiate of the masses". Why use the (free) serivces of the religious to calm you when you can burn a few thousand on opiates and other substances? Excesses of the rich, it seems.

Apr. 24 2014 10:44 AM