Streams

Police Say They Have Stabbing Suspect in Custody

Wednesday, June 04, 2014

Photos of the suspect, Daniel St. Hubert. Police believe he is now clean-shaven. (Kathleen Horan)

The New York Police Department said a suspect has been apprehended in connection with the stabbings in Brooklyn Sunday that killed a six-year-old boy and left a seven-year-old girl critically wounded.

The arrest of 27-year-old Daniel St. Hubert just after 8 p.m. Wednesday night came within minutes after Mayor Bill de Blasio and NYPD Commissioner William Bratton held a televised press conference identifying the suspect and seeking the public's help.

Investigators said forensic evidence was used to identify St. Hubert, who had a prior address not far from Boulevard Houses, the East New York public housing project where the stabbings occurred. He was apprehended about six miles away, near JFK Airport.

Officials said St. Hubert had a long arrest record, including assault on a correction officer and a police officer. He was paroled on May 23 after serving time for a domestic assault. Police said they didn't know if the suspect had a history of mental illness.

Police say Prince Joshua Avitto and his friend Mikayla Capers were riding in an elevator in Boulevard Houses to get ice cream Sunday when they were randomly attacked. Avitto died of his injuries. His funeral is set for Friday morning.

St. Hubert has not been ruled out as a suspect in the Friday night murder of an 18-year-old woman who was stabbed with a similar knife.

 

With reports from the Associated Press.

Tags:

More in:

The Morning Brief

Enter your email address and we’ll send you our top 5 stories every day, plus breaking news and weather.

Comments [4]

Chris from Brooklyn: Is there any reason why other readers should have to mentally punctuate your comment? Show a little respect; if you care enough to comment, go the extra inch and use punctuation so your comment can be read.

Jun. 05 2014 02:15 PM
John from Bklyn

Did you folks notice that, even with the most intense need to capture and stop this man, WNYC News refused to broadcast his description.

Jun. 05 2014 11:25 AM

What Chris said would be true if this person had only one other crime. But he has proven that he is a repeat offender, even attacking uniformed peace officers. He should not have been paroled. He's had many chances to change his ways, and chose not to.

Jun. 05 2014 08:55 AM
chris from Brooklyn

I understand people are hurt and want someone to pay for the young lost of life and the little girl still clinging but public outcry about what the monster that has been captured for these atrocities was doing out on the streets in the first place needs to diminish yes we are upset but he did his time that's why he was released there was know way anyone could have foreseen that he would commit these crimes there are so many men and women released from prison on a daily basis that go on to lead productive lives and it's sad to say that because of this monsters actions and the public outcry that is following that there are those who if they had been giving a second chance would only do the right thing but now won't get that chance we can't just give up on those behind bars because of a select few of those that do get out go back to a life of crime

Jun. 05 2014 07:46 AM

Leave a Comment

Email addresses are required but never displayed.

Sponsored

Latest Newscast

 

 

Support

WNYC is supported by the Charles H. Revson Foundation: Because a great city needs an informed and engaged public

Feeds

Supported by