Please Explain: The Slow Cooker

Friday, November 01, 2013

Julia Collin Davidson, of America's Test Kitchen, talks about the versatility of the slow cooker. It’s not just for beef stew anymore. On this week’s Please Explain she talks about how to roast, poach, and even make cakes and custards in the slow cooker. Julia Collin Davidson is one of the editors of America’s Test Kitchen’s Slow Cooker Revolution.

Julia Collin Davison

Don't u love the religious and their loopholes :)

Nov. 01 2013 01:53 PM
Amy from Manhattan

On lining a crockput w/aluminum foil, if the heating element is on 1 side, it seems more likely that the foil conducts the heat more evenly around the crockpot.

Nov. 01 2013 01:51 PM
Johanny from Westchester Ny

Are there any health benefits to using a slow cooker? Cooking at lower heats has been known to maintain more of the good stuff in food like nutrients etc.?

Nov. 01 2013 01:49 PM
samantha from nyc

I disagree with your guest about chicken in the slow cooker. I am sabbath observant and make a sephardic chicken chulent called Tebeet that is a whole chicken stuffed with rice with lots of root vegetables around, chicken broth and aromatic spices like cumin and saffron. I turn the cooker on Friday afternoon and it cooks until Saturday afternoon - delicious.

Nov. 01 2013 01:41 PM
Moshe from Williamsburg Brooklyn

Slow cookers are used by Jews to cook the Shabbos Chulent, which is eaten on Saturday Midday meal, Since we can light fire from Friday sundown, Slowcookers is a great way to keep the Chulent hot, for such a long time.

I wonder if you can give any recommendation, it terms of recipes, type of slow cooker, etc

Nov. 01 2013 01:38 PM
michelle

Kathy Hester's "Vegan Slow Cooker" is a great slow cooker vegetarian option

Nov. 01 2013 01:30 PM
Truth & Beauty from Brooklyn

For Portland caller: I make vegetarian chili in the crock pot using vegetarian ground beef, and then standard chili ingredients. Just sauté the veggie beef with some onion and pepper first, then throw everything into the crock pot and it will be ready at dinner time. :-)

Nov. 01 2013 01:28 PM
Melanie from Montclair, NJ

I use both America's Test Kitchen Slow Cooker Revolution cookbooks and have noticed that both rely heavily on microwaves to "bloom" the aromatics. I don't have a microwave and am wondering what is this best substitute: steaming or sauteing.

Thank-you!

Nov. 01 2013 01:28 PM
Alyson from Ditmas Park

I already own a slow cooker which I love. How would I adjust the slow cooker in recipes to have juicy meats? Should I add more time? Also should I even buy a pressure cooker since I have a slow cooker?

Nov. 01 2013 01:11 PM
Brenda from UES

I have both of America's Test Kitchen's Slow Cooker books. I'm interested in making the Big-batch Bolognese this weekend but I'm wondering why there isn't nutmeg in it? Is this an Americanized Recipe. These books are bibles for anyone interested in Slowcooking.

Nov. 01 2013 12:42 PM