Please Explain: The Politics of Food

Friday, December 20, 2013

On this week’s Please Explain, Marion Nestle, author of Eat, Drink Vote: An Illustrated Guide to Food PoliticsFood Politics: How the Food Industry Influences Nutrition and HealthWhat to Eat, among other books, talks about the politics of food.

Marion Nestle

Barbara from NYC

Marion Nestle mentioned that there are schools where the food is good--it smells good and tastes good.
How could we find out which schools these are?

Dec. 20 2013 01:52 PM
Pascale

Don't know if it's the right segment, but just wanted to let you know that I went to a luncheon at my son's school last week and the food was awful. If it is like this in every school, I seriously pity the kids who are eating that crap all year long.

Dec. 20 2013 01:51 PM

Big industrial "organic" from China is the so-called "organic" produce that ends up at places like Walmart®.

In any case, "organic" means very little, these days!

Dec. 20 2013 01:50 PM
Andrea from Manhattan, NY

I find myself frequently disagreeing with people I am otherwise generally politically aligned with about the safety of GMOs. Current attitudes seem to me to be fear-based and anti-science. We've been modifying the genes of foods for millennia -- orange carrots, for example. Virtually every farmed food has been genetically bred somehow. I have yet to see convincing evidence of harmful health effects of GM foods, but I do think the way the industry is regulated and patents give control to giant corporations and disempower small farmers is problematic and should be addressed.

Dec. 20 2013 01:50 PM
Steve from NJ

What does Marion think about The Paleo Diet?

Dec. 20 2013 01:43 PM
Brendan from Hudson Valley

Could you discuss some of the politics/food industry behind GMO labeling? It seems like there is very strong public support, but big industry spends lots of money to defeat any efforts.

Dec. 20 2013 01:42 PM

Fact or Fantasy? Nixon and his Sec'ty of Agriculture (Earl Butz) worked to get sugar out of food and led the switch to HFCS. Had to do with our control of the sugar market vs. control of the corn market.

Dec. 20 2013 01:31 PM
Carolyn from Brooklyn

What is going on with the farm bill?

Dec. 20 2013 01:26 PM
Brittany from St. James, NY

I sometimes like to thicken soups with mashed potato flakes for an easy and more wholesome flavor!

Dec. 20 2013 12:35 PM