(Want to hear what announcements at the original Penn Station sounded like? The above audio, which comes from the WNYC Archives, was recorded sometime in the 1950s.)
On November 27, 1910, one of New York City's original architectural jewels opened its doors to train passengers.
"The first train was sent out of the station through the 'tubes under the Hudson River at midnight," the New York Times reported, "although three months before trains had been sent out of the terminal over the Long Island Road, under the East River."
The original Penn Station was demolished in 1963, its columns, steel, windows, marble walls dumped in New Jersey swampland. But at least one piece of it remains behind, hiding in plain sight.
Check out some photos of the original structure.
Penn Station, circa 1910 (Library of Congress)
The exterior of Penn Station in 1920 (Library of Congress)
Interior, taken before 1915 (Library of Congress image)
Crowds awaiting Reverend Billy Sunday's appearance, probably in 1917 (Library of Congress)
Penn Station in 1962, one year before its demolition (Cervin Robinson/Library of Congress)
Waiting for a train, 1942 (Library of Congress)
(Library of Congress)