'Vaping' While Dining

Thursday, October 17, 2013

Ten years after Mayor Michael Bloomberg banned smoking in New York City bars and restaurants, diners are puffing away again. But now, they are "vaping," or smoking e-cigarettes.

Restaurants have different policies about whether to allow e-cigarettes or not. Some are bothered by their smell, or the blue light that some models feature.

But Ryan Sutton, a food critic for Bloomberg News who spent one recent week dining out with a couple "vaping,"or smoking, e-cigarettes, believes that they will become a more frequent presence in New York restaurants.

"Usually it doesn't elicit too many frowns," he said. "I think e-cigarettes are the future and they will hopefully make combustible cigarettes more obsolete."

Do you think restaurants should allow e-smoking or not? Leave a comment below.

And to listen to the whole interview with Ryan Sutton, click on the audio player.

Tags:

More in:

mece from NYC

Massive mis-reporting, shame on WNYC. All e-cigs stink like smoke because it is water vapor with super-heated nicotine oil in it (or whatever unregulated crap the china manufacturers put in it). Anyone that says it is odorless (like Ryan Sutton) is clearly on someone's payroll -- What a bunch corporate marketing bullshit. e-cig nicotine "vaping" puts cancerous chemicals and pollutants in the air for all of us to suck in because of a few's drug habit. And I know what you're going to say -- "it's a free country, what else is the government going to tell me what I can or can't do?" More bullshit -- you don't have the right to pollute the air around people eating wherever you want and drive up health care costs for everyone. Do whatever you want in the privacy of your own home. You better not smoke one around me in a restaurant, I promise you wont like my response.

Oct. 17 2013 08:09 PM
Hugh from New York

"Vaping?" Does every last thing we do have to be branded?

Oct. 17 2013 02:22 PM

Yawn, Darwin at work...

I will never forgive Bloomby for jailing innocent protestors during 04 GOP convention. But I will always credit him for the help to get off smokes.

Oct. 17 2013 02:00 PM
Response

It's funny to read the EMOTIONALLY responses. Either e-cigs are harmful or not. Which is it? If not, then puff on.
It is better than drinking 3 glasses of wine or more per day.

Oct. 17 2013 01:56 PM
Mike from Westchester

Thank you Gedny from Harlem - your courteous mindset on this is truly commendable.

Oct. 17 2013 01:02 PM
Gedny from Harlem

As someone who has used (and continue to use) e-cigarettes to quit smoking I have mixed emotions about this. I rarely vape inside public buildings. Vapor doesn't hang in the air like smoke, and while there is a slight scent, it's nearly undetectable from a sole person vaping. For me it's more about the courtesy. When in a restaurant if I am really having a nicotine craving and cannot go outside I will step into an unoccupied area, or the restroom for a small puff. In a bar, I generally use my judgement based on how crowded it is, and ask permission. Otherwise, I take a smoke break like any traditional smoker, heading to the sidewalk or a patio. While there have been no study showing major harmful effects, I understand that this is something I have chosen and don't want to subject others to. I think as long as people use discretion, and are respectful of others we can find a happy common ground.

Oct. 17 2013 12:04 PM

My first thought is as well, that e-vapor must be more harmful than cigarettes. But so far there is no evidence demonstrating its harmfulness.
In my view its just another bad habit. I prefer a glass or 3 of red wine as bad habit and leave it to that.

Oct. 17 2013 11:15 AM
john from office

Years from now we will be told this is the most dangerious thing you can do to your lungs. Party on dudes, you look so cool, hooked up to the lung machine!

Oct. 17 2013 10:54 AM
E-mo from Upper E-ast Side

Can you get e-cancer from these? I don't really want to e-breathe someone's second hand e-smoke.

Oct. 17 2013 10:08 AM