Open Phones: Your Mixed Politics Families

Thursday, December 19, 2013

We're taking calls from people in mixed politics families--and how you manage to get along. Are you a Republican married to a Democrat, or vice-versa? Are your parents conservative, while you're more progressive? How do you negotiate the political differences in your family? Tell us about an issue or an ideology that divides you -- and how you manage to overcome it (if you do).

Peg

I am from a HUGE liberal family. My niece married a conservative. Now, family get-togethers are SOooooo... boring. We can't mention politics, religion OR EVEN THE WEATHER!!!! Staying away from controversy is No Fun!

Feb. 10 2014 11:00 AM
Lou from Manhattan (anonymous) from Manhattan

My mixed family is one of ability and disability. I come from a family that would alway build a long hike and lots pif sports or travel to inaccessible places into the holidays. But my husband is permanently in a wheelchair and it has meant having to redesign what we do to have activities that can include him

Dec. 19 2013 11:55 AM

"No politics or religion in the gunroom".

Love it, RUCB_Alum!!

Thanks for that!

Dec. 19 2013 11:54 AM

@DickeyFuller from DC

Take a page from Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey/Maturin novels of being in the Royal Navy during the Napoleonic Wars -

"No politics or religion in the gunroom"

which means that these topics are forbidden at the dinner table and other "Everyone together" moments. It's a good rule to follow in mixed company and you digest better.

There will be times when 'anything goes' and during those times, it's often better to leave the room rather than be bathed in the lunacy.

Dec. 19 2013 11:24 AM
Linda from Jersey Shore

DickeyFuller from DC I feel your pain. My choice is gin, just two fingers worth.. (spread your thumb and pinky far apart.. my two fingers worth).

Dec. 19 2013 11:24 AM

...and if you don't agree that it's okay to publish lies about a person's involvement in events at Benghazi, you agree not to talk about publishing lies about events at Benghazi.

Dec. 19 2013 11:16 AM

I feel ya, DickeyFuller from DC.

Another good indication of how religion is the opiate of the ignorant!!

Dec. 19 2013 11:14 AM
ana

Mixed politics w my. Brother has permanently affected our adult relationship shil as it affects attitudes about everything not overtl
y political. Brother not aware of this as reason

Dec. 19 2013 11:09 AM
DickeyFuller from DC

Our family has been riven in 2 since the Bush administration.

When we do get together for the sake of our 90 year old, we know that we can only talk about weather, sports or the kids.

If we do try to discuss anything, it always ends in yelliing, swearing, name-calling and exasperation. My ignorant brothers-in-law are always talking about how they want to give everyone guns to shoot the "takers." My ignorant nephew who's had Fox News jammed down his throat, can't talk about anything but BENGHAZI! or Fast and Furious. I have to ask my ignorant brother to NOT use the N-word in front of me.

They ALL get all of their news from Fox, or Michael Savage or Rush. They are the most ignorant, hateful people I've ever met. Did I mention that they all go to church all the time?

I am dreading Christmas dinner next week. Red wine is the answer.

Dec. 19 2013 11:05 AM
cjpappas@optonline.net from Hooken

My parents started out as Repubicans but my mother became a Democrat during the Reagan administration. I grew up in a household in which dinner was similar to TV shows like Crossfire and Hardball.

Dec. 19 2013 11:03 AM

So, Tim the caller, being an activist against an odious racist regime is AGAINST your retrograde 'libertarian/conservative" worldview??

What the hell was she thinking?!?!.

Dec. 19 2013 11:01 AM
antonio from baySide

hmm... To me in this day and age I would think if you don't listen to the media and just based upon what the two parties do, they're more similar.

I would say a real extreme would be Michelle Bachman and Bernie Sanders...

Dec. 19 2013 11:00 AM
Truth & Beauty from Brooklyn

When my parents married, my mother was a Democrat and my father a Republican. During the course of their marriage, my father switched to Democrat and my mother to Liberal.

I tend toward Liberal, but that's partially because of what I learned at home and partially because I am Jewish and the tenets of our faith are democratic.

Speaking of mixed relationships, I recently read that Congressman Eric Cantor's wife is a liberal Democrat. I wonder how that works...

Dec. 19 2013 10:58 AM
Edward from Washington Heights AKA pretenious Hudson Heights

Mixed politics family?

James Carville and Mary Matalin.

Dec. 19 2013 10:43 AM
Joel from Nyack

How about a discussion of how agnostics and/or atheists are looked down upon and sometimes discriminated by so called people of faith?

Dec. 19 2013 10:39 AM