Open Phones: Where Would You Move?

Friday, October 18, 2013

If you were going to leave where you live, where would you go? Do you live in a tiny apartment but are you longing for a big house? Do you want to try life on the West Coast? Are you tired of winter?

Give us a call and tell us where you would move. 212-433-9692 or post below.

GG Graham from Manhattan - Union Square

Very thoughtful comments thus far and have enjoyed reading them. I've been working on the answer to this question most of my life and have tried several options, from Amsterdam (NL) to Hawaii and a few places in between. But as a life-long NYer only 2 years from retirement, just bought a place in Palm Springs, CA to enjoy in all things California during the winter season. Will soon bid adieu to summers on the North Fork, Fire Island and the Hamptons for a little place in either the southern coast of France or Sitges, Spain. But NYC is the constant and it will remain so until I can no longer travel. Happy adventures to all!

Oct. 18 2013 05:28 PM
TJ (NY'er living in LA)

I'm so disappointed I didn't catch the show live this morning. To the first caller who used West Hollywood as a reference for 'walkable' LA -- of course, one can walk about West Hollywood because it's a neighborhood, not a city. Yes, I know it's incorporated or whatever and they give their own parking tickets (don't they ever). But to say West Hollywood is more walkable than Manhattan? Well of course, Manhattan is 50x the size of WeHo. That said, I'd take a stroll from Washington Heights to SoHo over a walk down Santa Monica Blvd. every time -- much better views and more interesting street life.

I'm not going to be the NY'er who disses LA because that's too easy and people grow tired of it. LA is not without merit. It just takes some doing because of its size and...the car thing. The caller also mentioned how great the transit system is here. Again, I should point out what he didn't say -- the subway does not traverse the whole city nor does it run 24/7/ And the biggest beef? The train doesn't go to the ocean because the West Siders famously don't want "the others" traipsing through their bucolic settings.

LA will never be NYC. Nor does it want to be. But no place is NYC. I miss it everyday. I won't front -- I miss it less from Halloween to February. Full disclosure -- I grew up in Chicago (I'd NEVER live there again) and lived in the city and Bklyn before moving to LA.

So, to answer the original question, if it can't be Brooklyn, then it'd be Paris or Scandinavia. And LA-la for the winters.

Oct. 18 2013 03:57 PM
Mr. Bad from NYC

I was thinking about it and I want to retract what I said about Chicago being worse than LA. (BTW I have live in all three cities for a year or more)
Even thought I hated Chicago much more than LA I have to admit that Chicago is actually a city, i.e. it has an identity all its own. It is Nirvana for tubby sports fans. That being said if you could teleport Chicago 1000 miles in any direction people who live there and love it would still live there and love it. Same goes for other truly great cities like NYC and London for instance which both have lots of negative aspects such as awful weather, traffic, are expensive, overcrowded, etc.

Now you take LA. What is LA? LA is the name of the place that sits on the beach on the temperate west coast of the continent. Move LA to Iowa and LA is emptied out before the end of the week. LA is the anti-city. LA is for people who are lazy, self indulgent, shallow and insecure about it. They seek for nothing and ask for nothing other than to be warm, tan, rich, attractive and in each others company. LA is not a city so much as a cult compound and it feels that way to outsiders. Plus if you think "B&T" is bad try the "OC" for unwelcome suburban invaders...

Oct. 18 2013 02:44 PM
Karen from Maui

My husband and I have been driving ourselves crazy with this question. We both work remote and have been travelling for the past two years hoping for inspiration on where to settle down before our two kids start school. We found so many places we love but had a hard time narrowing it down. We have lived in Boulder for the past few years which is an amazing place to live but we are ready for a change. Looks like the next stop is Maui, started looking at homes yesterday. Surf up!

Oct. 18 2013 12:07 PM
Joanna from Bay Ridge, New York

There's no place like home. I live in Bay Ridge and can refresh with sea breezes, hear the trees sing songs, ride a bike, go to library, walk the dogs...if you can open your eyes and have what you need, city for cultural events, peace and quiet by the seaside....that's home. I would never live anywhere with closed minded, racist community so living in New York is for me. Diversity, open minds, libraries and museums, and your show Brian which is unique and provides a daily exercise for the mind. Thank you. I can always take a trip to Italy, and England....the only two places I would consider spending time.

Oct. 18 2013 11:42 AM
LJ from New Jersey

Paris, France or Vermont!

Oct. 18 2013 11:39 AM
Tanya from Manhattan

After living in NYC for 8 years, I got a job in San Francisco and moved there. Many people speak of San Francisco as the "best place on earth" to live. My experience was different. The living cost was much more expensive that NYC, and my job didn't pay enough for me to afford to own a car, which made it harder to socialize, or go enjoy the nature the surrounding area had to offer. The public transportation system is not as convenient as the NYC system, and was difficult to get around. After 2&1/2 years, I've moved back to NYC. I would't move away from NYC again.

Oct. 18 2013 11:26 AM
ROBERT from NYC

I'm conflicted but it would be any of one of these places, Florence, Venice, Berlin, London, San Francisco, Boston. How's that for being conflicted!

Oct. 18 2013 11:25 AM
NinaB from NYC

To Joel - who called - I did just that - school in the UK. Loved it & desperately wish I were still there. But good luck getting a work permit! ;-)

Oct. 18 2013 11:25 AM
Mr. Bad from NYC

I love it when people in LA compare it to NYC in terms of how many people "read" or how "walkable" it is. Doesn't that just tell you everything you need to know about how much LA sucks? Not as much as Chicago (better weather) but NYC is unique. NYC is in the Legendary City Tier like London, Paris, Rome... LA is not and never will be in that group. They need to get over it.

Oct. 18 2013 11:24 AM
David from Brooklyn

I would move to Porto Pollo, Corsica, to help a very old and great friend Jules Franck Mondoloni who is an exceptional sculptor/painter.

Oct. 18 2013 11:23 AM
lac from Manhattan

I was born in Manhattan, live in Manhattan and don't want to die in Manhattan but in southern Spain, which I love.

Oct. 18 2013 11:22 AM
Mimi from Brooklyn

Re: men wanting to leave. It's interesting--aren't most of the writers in Goodbye To All That women?

Me: Toronto. Culture, diversity, parks, good food. Livable.

Oct. 18 2013 11:21 AM
NinaB from NYC

I'm with you, Rick! I wasn't thinking internationally. Scandinavia always comes out tops on those lists. My first choice would be the UK, though. But it's pricey, of course. And there's the whole right-to-work there problem.
Toronto? Vancouver? Can't work in Canada either. :-(
Cali.... here I come??

Oct. 18 2013 11:20 AM
Sara from Bushwick

To the caller who wants to move to Vermont - I lived there many years ago and there is a running joke about the New Yorkers who move up there and don't last more than 4-5 years.

Oct. 18 2013 11:20 AM
Joel from Nyack

Scottsdale, AZ is nice to visit but the air pollution can be problematic and the far right politics are disturbing. Beware of the guns.

Oct. 18 2013 11:19 AM
janny1006 from jersey city

When we think about where we move next, allegedly for 'retirement', my husband and i have 2 must-haves:
1) Blue state!!! We will never move to a red state. Ever. So we carefully track political activity in any state we are interested in.
2) Anyplace we go, we are going to have our own parking (driveway, garage). Too many lost hours searching from street parking!!

Oct. 18 2013 11:19 AM
marisa from NYC

all these calls are making me convinced I had better not every leave the city and move to NJ! They all want to flee!!

Oct. 18 2013 11:18 AM
ericka

Capetown vicinity, South Africa

Oct. 18 2013 11:18 AM

On a more fantasical note, I would love to live again in Europe. London is nice. We lived in Krakow, Poland. We loved the culture and the beautiful city. I reccommed it to all.

Oct. 18 2013 11:17 AM
Mickey from Harlem

Detroit. Sounds odd but there's just something authentic and real about Detroit and Detroiters. I loved the old NY not too fond of the Disney version. Bonus points: Detroit is a border city to Canada, has some amazing architecture, great music and the Redwings.
Planning on leaving in the next year or so.

Oct. 18 2013 11:16 AM
jgarbuz from Queens

Rick

Go to Sweden and enjoy the tax rates. Read some Swedish-English newspapers first before you go.

Oct. 18 2013 11:16 AM
Donna Weinstock

From Brooklyn, grew up, got married and moved to Florida. Never liked it and always wanted to come back but got stuck. After 29 years, kids grew up and left, parents were all gone, so sold the house, quit jobs and came back to New York. Went into business just as our New York friends were retiring and moving to Florida. Love being back.

Oct. 18 2013 11:15 AM

New Zealand

Plenty of tasty sheep, lots of good red wine, and it doesn't invade other countries.

Oct. 18 2013 11:15 AM
antonio from baySide

@ Dan...
I'm torn. I checked it out and loved the streetcars, food...
But I have a long story concerning 'ptown.'

Oct. 18 2013 11:15 AM
J from NJ

In a heartbeat, back to Northern California (if I had the money). Life in New Jersey is pure soul murder. Too many people, too much concrete and traffic... where is the love? Unfortunately, family has me stuck here... Yes, New Jersey, after 20 years, is still not home. I've been telling people I'm just passing through for two decades. Gotta get OUTTAHERE.

Oct. 18 2013 11:14 AM
NinaB from NYC

Looking forward to hearing responses here, as I am wrestling with this decision now. I'm a native NYer, but...... the cost of living is SO high (and that's not going to change,) but the quality of life is SO LOW. All these cultural attractions, but so few are affordable.

Interesting call now...... LA is on my list. I have lived there before.

Oct. 18 2013 11:13 AM
antonio from baySide

I'd like to move to a town on the border of VT and New Hampshire, one of those old style new englandy, pedestrian friendly towns. All they would need is a couple streetcars and i'd be there!

Oct. 18 2013 11:13 AM
Jane from Brooklyn

Austin tx!

Oct. 18 2013 11:12 AM

As I presently live in Missouri (Misery by some) , I would love to return to Brooklyn. Sadly it is still to expensive for us to do so. We are conisdering Portland, OR as a possible future move. Beautiful area and arts.

Oct. 18 2013 11:11 AM
katie from alphabet city

If I were to leave new york, I'd go almost anywhere--but top two choices would be Paris or a tropical island--but that's because I know I can always come back.

Oct. 18 2013 11:11 AM
George from Astoria

Washington DC

Always loved the big park areas and national monuments.
Maybe get a steady government job as well.

Oct. 18 2013 11:11 AM
Rick from NYC

That's easy - SWEDEN! or any of those other SCANDINAVIAN countries. they ALWAYS seem to come out on top in those "quality of life" surveys. Plus, they speak ENGLISH! ;)

Oct. 18 2013 11:11 AM
dan from Manhattan

I might think about Detroit, too!

If anyone says "Portland, Ore" I will scream. Moved there for a year and a half- not cheap, overpriced housing and rather grouchy, depressing natives. I'm staying in the Apple.

Oct. 18 2013 11:10 AM
lk from Brooklyn

Detroit. Houses are really cheap and I think it is ripe for reinvesting and renewing. They have a lively arts communities establishing there.

Oct. 18 2013 10:38 AM