Open Phones: What Will You Miss about Mayor Bloomberg?

Tuesday, October 15, 2013

The New York City Flag. (Sarah Kate Kramer/WNYC)

Mayor Bloomberg has been running the city for a long time. What do you like about the mayor and his vision for New York City? Call in and say what will you miss in post-Bloomberg NYC.

News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

Martin Chuzzlewit from Manhattan

I'll miss his competence and the lack of a Sandinista/Che Guevara worship history ... unlike our next mayor Warren Wilhelm.

Oct. 15 2013 09:32 PM
Edward from Washington Heights AKA pretentious Hudson Heights

How did Bloomberg buy his third term?

Were there Bloomberg employees standing IN the voting booth pressing $100 bills into voters hands?

Please explain how one buys an election.

No matter how much de Blasio pays me, I'm not voting for him.

Oct. 15 2013 12:15 PM
Wolfgang from Manhattan

Bloomberg's transportation policy has been great! His administrations improvements in street design to support bicycling, bus lanes and improved pedestrian spaces have made New York streets a lot better. And Citibike is of course a spectacular success.
It would have been great if he had been able to implement congestion pricing, it is a pity that he was blocked on that.
Unfortunately neither of the two current candidates has much of a vision to further a progressive transportation policy.

Oct. 15 2013 11:40 AM

This political season has been such a turn-off because everyone sounded like they were running against Bloomberg. A stranger from outer space would think Bloomberg was still running for office. If the new electees can only do half the good Bloomberg has done, we'd be so lucky.

Oct. 15 2013 11:36 AM

Bloomberg's pandering to the Wall ST (his corp customers), his unlawful arrests of demonstrators & shutting down OWS will cost the city lots of public $$$ & his too flexible public health policies have hurt NYC. Allowing more hospitals, especially St. Vincent's, to shut down & thus leaving trauma emergency care up for grabs as well as not pushing for paid sick days which could help prevent cross-infection in workplaces show that his public health push can be stopped by the $$$ to which he's supposedly "immune."

Oct. 15 2013 11:36 AM
art525 from Park Slope

What will I miss about Bloomberg? Nothing. I am counting the days until I won't have to listen to that nasal, condescending voice as he impatiently tries to explain to all of us who don't have his great wisdom why we are wrong. His disdain for the populace is best expressed in his telling us how big a drink we were allowed to have. His leadership brought us the 911 phone system scandal with millions of wasted money, the failure in that snowstorm where people were stranded in subways while he wouldn't even tell us wherre he was (turned out to be in Bermuda), ignoring the will of the people and buying a third term. What was it 100 dollars per vote? The list goes on and on. He is an arrogant little Napoleon and I will be so glad to see him gone.

Oct. 15 2013 11:33 AM
JD from NYC

I absolutely adore this man! I appreciate his business-like approach to issues, and admire his courage to implement change. He's not afraid to push the city and its residents to be better. After having lived in several other cities, I think NYC under Bloomberg's leadership is one of the best managed cities in the country.

Oct. 15 2013 11:31 AM
jm

He would advocate a great policy one day, and cancel it out the next with a blatantly clueless reaction to the disenfranchised. In addition to Bloomberg's problematic policies affecting people of color, I'm really worried about the older people in my neighborhood with the possibility of insane real estate development slated over the next few years.

Oct. 15 2013 11:31 AM
steve from upper west side

An informative segment, even if it turns my stomach to listen to such ill-informed citizenry. Just goes to show, you can fool some of the people all the time, and all the people some of the time, if you've got enough money to push aside the Constitution and the people's will and buy yourself an illegal third term...

Oct. 15 2013 11:31 AM
Susan from nyc

The only thing I will miss about Bloomberg is when he speaks Jeuyorican.

Oct. 15 2013 11:31 AM

The whole country and world was different in the 70s did Rudy and prince mike turn them around as well.
Maybe they were in the right place at the right time.

Oct. 15 2013 11:30 AM
LL from Brooklyn

Bloomberg's efforts for gun control outside of NYC have been phenomenal. Also his commitment to the arts in New York have been impressive.

Oct. 15 2013 11:30 AM
Ally from the upper east side

Nothing. Kick rocks.

Oct. 15 2013 11:30 AM
Edward from Washington Heights AKA pretentious Hudson Heights

If Wilhelm de Balsio becomes mayor, we'll ALL miss Michael Bloomberg.

Oct. 15 2013 11:28 AM
carl from queens

Just the smoking ban makes him a great mayor but not perfect.. How can he justify his enthusiasm for the ''Nathan's'' hot dog eating contest knowing the hot dog is one of the worst foods to eat, and it's only a question of time till one of the contests croaks. Also, to greedy. Parking meters could have been updated. Every time I have to walk a block to put a quarter in [ sometimes broken] the new stands, I wonder if the mayor thinks he is suffering from Tinnitis? He fixed something that wasn't broke just for a few more bucks.. Worn out street sings or no signs at all.. We sent a man to the moon 1n 69, but we still can't keep traffic flowing.

Oct. 15 2013 11:28 AM
Barbara Dolensek

Mayor Bloomberg has been great for technology, health, environment, but his biggest failure has been his refusal to listen to communities, especially those outside Manhattan. He should have had town hall meetings as Giuliani and Koch did instead of letting his commissioners, especially DOT, ride roughshod over neighborhoods. City Island is having a huge, inappropriate and much-hated bridge design forced on us because Bloomberg wanted a signature bridge, and he has refused to take community protests into account.

Oct. 15 2013 11:27 AM
Geoff from Brooklyn

I used to admire Mayor Bloomberg but I lost all respect for him. When a former exec at Goldman Sachs resigned he wrote a scathing piece in The New York Times about the despicable culture at Goldman's. Mayor Bloomberg's response was a moral boosting visit to the firm to show his unfettered support. Like they were the most in need of a feel good visit from the Mayor!

Oct. 15 2013 11:27 AM
boo from brooklyn

took a while to warm to him, but will miss him very much. love his no nonsense manner and lack of pandering, so refreshing and funny.

Oct. 15 2013 11:27 AM
Sheldon from Brooklyn

"Yes the effect [of stop & Frisk] is racist, but neighborhood demographics suggest that is where crime is."

I'm not sure what that means?

Oct. 15 2013 11:26 AM
Bill Swersey from Manhattan

I'm a Democrat and will vote for DiBlasio. I have generally supported Bloomberg, voted for him last time (but not on Republican slate).

I'll miss: his decisiveness even when it borders on autocracy - he has a "can do" approach that is rare in modern politics and he got so much done: bike lanes, 311, NYC.gov website, smoking ban, anti-smoking campaign.

I'm glad the West Side football stadium didn't happen and I think the term limits deal was a mistake, but all in all I think NY has benefited significantly from Bloomberg's tenure and I hope future mayors will learn from his successes and mistakes.

Oct. 15 2013 11:26 AM

I have admired Mike Bloomberg, for a long time, and I have worked for his company for about 10 years. I believe he does has the interests of the full spectrum of New Yorkers in mind, because he recognizes that a city is a complex society that works only if all citizens are safe, healthy, and engaged. He is a technocrat in the best sense of the word.

I don't believe anyone can replace him. I prefer De Blasio in terms of temperament, but I am undecided. I will be interested to hear the debates. I do wish Christine Quinn were still in the running, because I would like to hear more from her at this stage.

I would rather vote for Bloomberg again.

Oct. 15 2013 11:24 AM
lcruz from brooklyn

no pandering to special interest groups, to get things done.

Oct. 15 2013 11:24 AM
kt from Brooklyn

I don't mean to be glib (as I'm not getting into serious politics here) but I will seriously miss the way that man spoke Spanish. Anytime I was home to hear his press conferences I (along with my family and friends) would pray that he would conduct his usual Spanish portion after his English press conference/announcements. I appreciated that he would speak Spanish but his Spanish pronunciation always had us rolling on the floor hysterically laughing but he was so confident that he spoke it anyway. I know this may sound mean-spirited but I assure you that it is not. Bloombergian Espanol--that's what I'll miss.

Oct. 15 2013 11:22 AM
Stephen from Prospect Heights

Although I did not agree with:

How he locked down the city during the 2004 Republican Convention, it might be reasoned that there was still 911 aftershock.

I think Stop and Frisk is super complicated. Yes the effect is racist, but neighborhood demographics suggest that is where crime is.

He gave the city a away to Real Estate developers, but maybe the only option in the post Wall Street universe.

Education: I appreciate that he reversed the fiefdoms of Ocean Hill/Brownsville where there was absolutely no transparency within the DOE, and many of the state/federal issues with testing are being unfairly attributed to him.

Labor: Complicated. Not sure. He is hostile to the city unions, but maybe there is no revenues.

However he is so filthy rich, that he ran the most kosher administration in my 50 years and the quality of life initiatives (bike lanes, closed streets, smoking, hydrogenated oils, congestion pricing, gun control, and soda bans, are awesome.

Finally, not sure if any mayor could address all the inequities, but I feel that he tried.

Oct. 15 2013 11:19 AM
Ben from Brooklyn

I will miss:

- His commitment to the arts. It is hard to remember what it was like to have Mayors who would not gladly welcome, for example, Christo's "The Gates" into a public space.

- Smoking ban. Hard to remember the days when you would go out at night in NYC and would then have to dry clean all of your clothes, every time.

- Scads of money. You can't overestimate the impact of a mayor who could throw $1M to a non-profit organization if he felt like it.

- 311. That was a great idea and well implemented.

- Someone who will speak truth to power about firearms and cities.

- This will sound weird. But it's true. It's important to my hopefulness that I can occasionally experience a Republican who is a rational human being.

Oct. 15 2013 11:18 AM
Stephanie from Manhattan

Will miss a champion in public health and green and a walkable city. Voting for De Blasio hoping the tradition will continue.

Oct. 15 2013 11:16 AM

I think Bloomberg has been a great mayor in so many ways. The city has never been in better shape. The parks especially are really beautiful now. I love the bike lanes and the effort to reduce driving in Manhattan. I love that he spoke to me as an intelligent adult. City government has never been as responsive. He modernized the city and introduced technology to government agencies in smart ways. And he was completely un-corruptible.

Oct. 15 2013 11:10 AM
David from Staten Island

I'll miss Mayor Bloomberg. His data-driven style of governing reminds me of the first successful reformers of the progressive-era, who used publicly available information and newly developed accounting practices to take on the Tammany machine.

Oct. 15 2013 11:06 AM
Marjorie from Park Slope

Mike Bloomberg has been a terrific mayor. He has done more for public health, parks, infrastructure and the environment than I ever thought possible. His leadership on national issues like gun control and climate change has been exemplary. And his eye-rolling impatience with dumb questions and obvious BS always made me laugh. While no politician is perfect, and I think issues like education, police enforcement, and income inequality need more work, I always got the impression that Bloomberg was working hard to do big things for the big city. He'll be missed.

Oct. 15 2013 11:05 AM
Robert from NYC

Absolutely nothing. Goodbye.

Oct. 15 2013 10:46 AM
Sheldon from Brooklyn

Joe,

I did not have a problem with mechanics of the soda "ban." or its goals.

I had a problem with the mayor bypassing the legislative branch of the City (the city council,) thus forcing him to use the health dept, which due to its limited reach, could only enforce the "ban" in an uneven and ad hoc way: Movie theaters & Dunkin Donuts - yes, 7-11's and bodegas - no.

Bloomberg, the business man, would've been outraged at such an arbitrary regulation on small businesses.

Oct. 15 2013 10:43 AM
Edward from Washington Heights AKA pretentious Hudson Heights

I will miss the way Bloomberg speaks Spanish.

Yikes!

Oct. 15 2013 10:22 AM
Joe from New York

"...his well meaning but flawed soda ban..."

I still don't understand how requiring that 32-ounce sodas be sold in two containers rather than one would have been a problem.

Oct. 15 2013 09:58 AM
Sheldon from Brookyn

For all his flaws, I will miss him (because he could afford to,) not being part of a party machine.

Also, outside of his well meaning but flawed soda ban - his public policy on health issues.

Oct. 15 2013 09:39 AM