Open Phones: What Did You Change Your Mind About?

Wednesday, December 18, 2013

(Lightspring/Shutterstock)

Did you change your mind about something this year? Call us up and tell us what it was. Have you changed your mind on the Affordable Care Act? Have you changed your mind on whether Mayor Bloomberg was a great mayor or on whether Chris Christie is a good governor? What did you change your mind about in 2013? Call us up at 212-433-9692.

→ Update: We're getting lots of reaction to Eric's revelation about brussel sprouts. Post your favorite brussel sprout recipe here.

News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

Guy: Exactly.

OK, if you insist on complicating Brussels Sprouts - some interesting ones:

#10 is promising. Except I never use real pork bacon. But just using a bit of the grease if you have it is a good idea. OK, anything fried/sauteed in that stuff is good. Just ask Mom.

Dec. 18 2013 12:08 PM

Worst. Show. Ever. 75% waste of time. The comments here are better and you can read a lot faster than empty headed people talk.

On Brussels Sprouts: I've tried everything. Olive oil, bacon, lemon, roasting, sauteing, Parmesan, almonds. Best way: Cut in half except for really little ones. Steam. Toss with unsalted butter or skip more salt if you use salted butter. Add a bit of salt and liberal dose of freshly ground pepper.

Dec. 18 2013 12:03 PM
JB from Westchester

I changed my mind about being an empty-nester. My youngest went off to college and I assumed it would be absolutely depressing and lonely with him out of the house. But guess what - turns out I love it!

Dec. 18 2013 11:48 AM
Rene Calvo from harlem

this is bombing. over soon?

Dec. 18 2013 11:28 AM
Amy from Manhattan

I'm glad to hear some of the callers say they changed their minds partially. I've known, & known of, people who did a complete 180 & became no less unreasonable on an issue, just in the opposite direction. So I appreciate hearing about some more nuanced changes (as befits the Brian Lehrer Show).

Dec. 18 2013 10:33 AM
jm

I caught only the last part of this, but on the subject of roasted brussels sprouts, they're even better roasted when you peel the individual leaves (toss with a bit of olive oil and salt beforehand). The resulting chips are delicious when they turn brown and crispy!

Dec. 18 2013 10:24 AM
RCT from NYC

The caller is right about Brussel sprouts. Slice in half, toss in a bowl with olive oil, salt, pepper and rosemary, roast at 400 degrees until sprouts start to brown -- less than 10 minutes - be careful not to burn them. Delicious.

Dec. 18 2013 10:24 AM
ba from UWS

I too had the brussels sprout conversion experience this year! I had them roasted with butter, lemon, a little parmesan, salt and pepper. The earth moved...

Dec. 18 2013 10:24 AM
Guy from NYC

So far, this call-in isn't painting such an impressive picture of the audience. Other than the deranged woman, I've heard audience members claiming to have changed their minds towards thinly veiled conservative positions, such as deciding Obama is incompetent solely based on the healthcare website rollout, deciding gun control laws are obsolete because it is possible to print them at home, etc. Either these people are conservative plants, or our abilities to deliberate by considering all the available evidence. Changing your mind is one thing; having a shallow understanding of politics and lacking critical facilities is entirely a different matter.

Dec. 18 2013 10:22 AM
Kate from Manhattan

That brussel sprout guy helped me change my mind about this segment! Know I'm glad I listened!!

Dec. 18 2013 10:21 AM

Do to the difficulty in amending the Constitution and the intransigence of the gun rights advocates, I have changed my mind about prosecuting the legal (and illegal) gunowner's with a felony for the crimes committed with their unsecured weapons. In some cases, this would mean prosecuting a bereaved parent but so be it. A gunowner's 'rights' carry with it the responsibility to protect the rest of us from their weapons unauthorized use.

{I reached this conclusion after Sandy Hook - 2012 - but I think it still counts for this year.]

Dec. 18 2013 10:20 AM
Robert from NYC

Good for you, they really are delicious when cooked properly. Brussel Sprouts rule!

Dec. 18 2013 10:20 AM
Dee

Changed my mind about how aggressive students should be in voicing their opinions. The incidents at Brown regarding Mr Kelly and the incident at Princeton where students boycotted a class because they didn't like the professors views have led me to believe the current university generation can't stand hearing what they don't agree with. I think they should have to in order to keep an open mind.

Dec. 18 2013 10:20 AM
Susan from Upper West Side

Awesome, Kate! No one can top choosing to stay alive.

Dec. 18 2013 10:13 AM
Bonn from East Village

Pope Francis. I was concerned that since he came out of the era of Argentina's dirty war and the missing (in which an inordinate number of the killed and missing were Jews: a fact, look it up), he would be just as conservative and extreme as the last few popes. (The teachings in the seminaries are anti-Semitic, told so by a Brazilian ex-priest.) However, he is proving himself to be a compassionate, sincere religious leader. Just like the Jesuits of old (the 60's) -" worker priests" as they were called in Latin America before they were stripped of power by the Church. I admire the Pope, but don't believe the rest of the Church is in step with him.

Dec. 18 2013 10:13 AM