Open Phones: What Are You Waiting For?

Wednesday, December 18, 2013

(StillFx/Shutterstock)

A simple question: What are you waiting for? Are you in a line right now? Are you expecting a baby? A revolution? Waiting in the apartment for the super to come fix the heat? What are you waiting for?

News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

Aquilla Lexus from Upper West Side

I am waiting for the City to pay the back-pay due me (now over $100,000)based on an Arbitration Award of 2002. The increase in pay I was awarded after an extended grievance and arbitration period of 9 years was withheld deliberately from me without any notice, process or legal authority. My Union dropped the ball. Now I am left with the task and expense of suing the City. This situation has also decimated the career I had worked towards as an earnest civil servant and stunted my standard of living. Many new City hires with no experience make more than I do. This is cruel and unusual punishment where there has been no crime. Oh, I think that is called discrimination!

Dec. 18 2013 11:58 AM
Lou from Highland Park, NJ

I just have to jump in here and comment on how respectfully Brian treats his callers. Many talk show hosts entertain their audience by berating and belittling the callers. Brian manages to be entertaining while being polite and kind. (I am thinking in particular about the last couple of callers in this segment.)

Dec. 18 2013 11:57 AM

@MC

That still leaves 746 days of BHO leading a Democratic Congress as the Boehner hands over the gavel back to Nancy P.

Two years in which we can :

Move to Obamacare 2.0 - The Public Option/"Medicare for Anyone that wants in"
Jobs programs to get unemployment below 6%
More taxes for individuals and corporations
The skeleton for a Universal Service Commitment (which includes a draft)
Repeal of some of the federal drug laws
Policies that lead to the return of personal savings
Greater investment in a smarter electrical grid, high speed rail, universal broadband, education, roads and bridges.

Dec. 18 2013 11:55 AM
Amy from Manhattan'

I didn't think of this till after the segment, but I'm waiting for WNYC to go back to rebroadcasting the Brian Lehrer Show from midnight to 2 AM. Nothing against the BBC, but if they're rebroadcasting Leonard, why not Brian?

Dec. 18 2013 11:54 AM
John from NYC

I am waiting for a publisher or agent for my brilliant book on creativity. (It is a REALLY good book.) I am a published author, but my agent died.

Publishers or agents, leave contact info. Thanks.

Dec. 18 2013 11:47 AM
foodaggro from Brooklyn

Waiting/looking forward to an arranged marriage, when you grew up in America? That is truly insane. Or your mom still dresses you in the morning.

Dec. 18 2013 11:43 AM
Chris from Manhattan

Love
Death
(Recover from being assaulted in 2013.)

Dec. 18 2013 11:43 AM
jf from the future

The thing about an eco village is that buildings are more beautiful than normal buildings, earthquake/hurricane proof. Made from natural materials and 5000 instead of 100,000 to make. water is collected, thus free, electricity is collected thus free. Earthships, cob houses, geodesic domes. Food is grown thus free. Rent is cheap. Farmers markets raise money.

Dec. 18 2013 11:42 AM
Robert from NYC

This is turning into a substitute for 311 today.

Dec. 18 2013 11:41 AM
Robert from NYC

I'm waiting for Godot and the guy who's supposed to fix my leaking bedroom ceiling.

Dec. 18 2013 11:40 AM
Robert from NYC

Christine, I can relate. I wish you the best of luck and have my fingers crossed tightly.

Dec. 18 2013 11:37 AM
genejoke from Brooklyn

I'm waiting for it to "heal on its own."

Dec. 18 2013 11:35 AM
antonio from baySide

I am waiting for my knowledge of javaScript to progress where I can code like I can draw pictures from memory!

Dec. 18 2013 11:33 AM
Natalie Wilson from Manhattan

I am waiting for the option agreement to come in on the musical I co-wrote this year, Sweethearts of Swing (www.sweetheartsofswing.com).

Dec. 18 2013 11:33 AM
Martin Chuzzlewit from Manhattan

I'm waiting for ... and looking forward to ... 1129 days and 35 minutes from now when Barry "The Imposter" Hussein Obama flees the White House after 8 years of decline and impoverishment in our nation.

Dec. 18 2013 11:27 AM