Open Phones: Open Phones

Wednesday, October 16, 2013

We're opening up the phones now for your calls on possible future open phones segments. From time to time, we invite listeners to call in and be the guest for these kinds of segments. Now it's your turn. We're taking your suggestions now, and we'll pick one open phones idea to do on the program tomorrow.

So what's your pitch for an open phones topic? Tell us at 212-433-WNYC or 212-433-9692.

cc in Jc

In this age is college viable?
Considering the high cost of college and with the workplace changing so rapidly and downsizing the norm, it seems a college degree no longer give rise to a job and also all the freedom of information and startups can be obtained on the web so is college the norm or abnormal in its expense.

Oct. 17 2013 09:06 AM
vivian from Manhattan

ASSAULT BY MUSIC.

Gym. Some gyms even give out ear plugs to people who find the music too loud. (I can’t listen to my audiobooks with headphones in the gym without turning up the volume to an ear-damaging level. For the record, I prefer classical music and probably wouldn’t be as upset at the gym music if that were an option, but it isn’t. I understand that the music facilitates exercise. But I feel it should be softer.)

Bar Mitzvahs and weddings – you can’t even have a conversation with the other people at your table without getting hoarse from shouting.

News programs (including NPR and WNYC) that think that every segment or news story has to be announced by a ta-da drum roll and followed by music that lets you know how you’re supposed to feel –like the movies, where the music lets you know whether what you’re watching is scary, somber, or dangerous.

Hold music on a phone call. They don’t ask whether you prefer classical, 60s rock or whatever. You’re just stuck with what they have, and if you stop listening, you’ll miss when a person finally comes on.

Audiobook music – where they overlay the first few sentences with music. (For me, I have to listen over and over to the first sentence, because the music is distracting. I’m always glad when it fades and you are left with just the reader and the words the author wrote.)

Restaurant music. It’s usually too loud.

Music from a car that’s riding along with the windows open blasting to the whole neighborhood.

I love music, especially early rock and classical. I sing in a choir and I used to play viola in community orchestras. But music is like food. It’s no fun being forced to ingest what you don’t like. Music is something you should opt into, not have to flee from.

Oct. 17 2013 12:04 AM
Arlene from Manhattan

Call in topic: missing children in NYC. I've lived in NYC for 10yrs and have never seen such an aggressive campaign for a missing child. Have I just been missing them? Or is this indeed the first time? If so, why? Is this the new direction? How do others feel about it? What were missing children campaigns in the past?

Oct. 16 2013 10:50 PM
Dianne from NYC

Call In Topic: How many people enjoy and are happy with their jobs, and what is the thing they dreamed of before life happened? And what if they got the opportunity to do it now...would they still be interested? It would be nice if more people really liked what they do for so many hours of their day.

Oct. 16 2013 04:26 PM

Tom Marlow from Staten Island
Wtf! Why should anyone pay your toll but u? I rarely go to SI and don't want to pay for your bridges
This doesn't sound like it would be fair to most of us. Nice for u to get aid.

Oct. 16 2013 01:53 PM
tom from astoria

For the general public who care about art -- who enjoy seeing art in museums, galleries, and occasionally read an article about old or new art: How do they feel about so much experimental, performance, conceptual art? Do they feel strongly that it's great, or do they long to see an artist that draws and paints and sculpts in a way recognizable and comparable to the historic art they love? In my experience there are people on both sides, but more educated and yuppie types are more appreciative of traditional forms in art and architecture.

Oct. 16 2013 12:08 PM
Kevin

I'd lik to see an open phones, "where do you get your television from?"
Are you streaming, stealing, satellite, via your phone, ipad... Are you paying for your service, are you just watching old shows via internet, etc.
Does anyone just watch tv the old school way

Oct. 16 2013 11:51 AM
Maureen from Boondock

I'd love to hear another Advice Roulette segment.

Oct. 16 2013 11:50 AM
Nancy from Manhattan

Driving through Northern NJ the other day, I saw lots of lawn signs for Corey Booker's Republican opponent, Lonegan, including a couple that included anti-Obamacare comments.

I normally think of Tea Partiers as "out there" in the so-called flyover areas of the country, but this showed me that there are Tea Partiers within a few miles of NY City.

I'd like a call-in for local Tea Partiers to explain (IN DETAIL) their thinking, and I'd in particular like to hear them tell why they think Obamacare is so horrible and why it will be "devastating" and a "train wreck" for our country. I hear these assertions, but not the (alleged) facts supposedly supporting their view.

Oct. 16 2013 11:31 AM
Ben from Westchester

I think there is an astounding story which nobody will touch because it is so -- well, touchy.

There was a ghastly weather event in South Dakota a few days ago. There are thousands of dead cattle lying on roads. Right now. And Kristi Noem, the state's only Representative, is a Tea Party member. She voted to remove the government to try and defund Obamacare, just when her constituents need it the most. Weather events and disease are the times that we all need a functioning government.

I wonder what the Ranchers are saying? I wonder what Kristi Noem's office is saying? Do people in NY feel schadenfreude? Do people in SD feel like they deserve it? Do people feel sad for the Rachers? Do people pray?

I feel like this is an amazing story to discuss, but nobody wants to go there. Brian should "go there."

Oct. 16 2013 11:29 AM
Francis from Greenpoint

Where outside of NYC do you want to move to and why?

Oct. 16 2013 11:27 AM

Crowdsourcer Apps and testing that mimics EPA pollution monitoring, which would enable citizens to record and report their local air, water, and soil qualities.

With the EPA all but shut down, and bad actors presumably being bad -- is it our obligation to take over, wherever it leads?

Oct. 16 2013 11:27 AM
Tom Marlow from Staten Island

Transportation and Toll Inequity in the region. Why do some areas such as Staten Island and the Rockaways bear the burden of intercity tolls (with the funds going to regional mass transit) while receiving the short end of the stick with regards to public transportation?

If we can share the burden of healthcare insurance costs why can't the same be applied to tolls in the area (toll all bridges, give residents a daily free toll etc).

Oct. 16 2013 11:24 AM

It is called the Brian Lehrer Show let learn more about you! The man behind the mike!

Oct. 16 2013 11:23 AM
Larry from Nyack

Many years back there was a regular segment with the WNYC President. I'd like to hear that again and my call-in is "What do you think of [like/dislike] the changes made in programs and promotional announcements at WNYC? [Why is an important program about personal finance on at 6AM weekends while we get self-improtant fluff shows during the day?]

Oct. 16 2013 11:23 AM

I would like to know why people are so f'ing shellfish

Oct. 16 2013 11:22 AM
Karen from NYC

Is your adult child still living at home and, if so, do you wish that he/she would leave?

Oct. 16 2013 11:20 AM
Mike from Greenpoint

Topic Idea: If you don't work out, why not? If you do, what got you started? Why types of working out do you recommend for people?

Oct. 16 2013 11:20 AM
Karen from NYC

Do you, or will you ever, have enough savings to retire?

Oct. 16 2013 11:19 AM

How do 'we the people' fix congress?

Oct. 16 2013 11:18 AM
Sheldon from Brooklyn

The crisis in Washington, is a constitutional one.

When will the 50 Governors intervene, as they are constitutionally required to.

The governors should start with two possible constitutional amendments: putting term limits on congress & taking away the right of congress to draw their own voting districts.

Oct. 16 2013 10:52 AM

"It's a free country. How could we tell people what to do with their own property? If they want to develop their real estate, it's their right."
"People move here because of the rolling hills, protected forests and beautiful woods everywhere."

New Jersey/Westchester and Connecticut were given nearly identical stunning topographies within their borders.

So how the heck did Connecticut not completely trash its share? And why does a 1.5 acre house in Connecticut cost 2-3 times more than the same sized parcel in NJ at a comparable level of commute and wealth?

Does it really boil down to zoning? And are there any lessons here fort the future -- or is the course set for the next 200 years?

Oct. 16 2013 10:20 AM

Florida lawman, giving advice to parents after a 12 year old girl killed herself following persistent bullying by two girls on social media:

"Watch your kids' behavior on Kik and Ask.fm."

To parents of kids who are presently 10-18 years old (i.e., actually in the trenches): HOW?

Also, all the advice and expert attention is directed at kids and parents of the so called bullying victims -- Have any relevant pearls of wisdom, best practices, software/apps been directed toward the aggressors and their families, by the law, schools or clergy?

Oct. 16 2013 10:09 AM