Open Phones: NJ Senate Exit Poll

Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Today is election day in New Jersey for the special election to fill the late Frank Lautenberg's seat. New Jersey voters: we're taking your calls for a special election edition of our informal, unofficial, thoroughly unscientific exit poll.

News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

Linda from Morris County

Clearly, someone who declares support for the Shutdown has not earned the right to represent me or NJ in the Senate. Does that even need to be said? Plus, he had that quitter Palin come HERE to campaign? She does not belong here. I voted for Booker and I can't was to see the results.

Oct. 16 2013 07:49 PM
Jack Gamble from Manahawkin

California already has 2 Senators. I voted for Lonegan.

Oct. 16 2013 01:06 PM
Mike from Jersey City, NJ

With the TP's GOP shutdown their is only one choice. Welcome aboard Rhodes Scholar and Senator elect Booker! We need more 165+ IQ Politicians decimating the -12 IQ point deficit radical right. http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-scientific-fundamentalist/201003/why-liberals-are-more-intelligent-conservatives

Oct. 16 2013 11:01 AM

@Sheldon from Brooklyn

You misperceived Christie's motive for splitting the two elections, thereby taking $12M out of the state treasury + 30% out of municipal budgets to hold a 'special' election. It was NOT to help Lonegan. It was to help Christie.

He wanted to drain the Democratic committees budgets and he wanted to INCREASE the chance that he could get a GOP majority in the Senate and Assembly in the GENERAL election to be held in November. By combining the elections, he would have saved the money but would have swamped his party's chances for any gains.

As good voters we need to see through his lies and commit to voting in the general in November. Don't let complacency give Chris Christie a Republican majority in the Senate or Assembly.

Oct. 16 2013 11:00 AM

Our household of 3 voted Booker, Booker and Booker. No way is the TP getting anything other than a smack down for putting up a candidate who is SO FAR OUT of the NJ mainstream.

Personally pondered for a moment over casting my vote for Eugene LaVergne because I appreciate the fight he is giving the U.S. government over enacting Article the First. He has lost in court and on appeal but it was a good fight and a good history lesson.

We were VOCALLY for Rush Holt in the primary.

Oct. 16 2013 10:51 AM
Maria from Newark

I live in Newark and can say from personal experience that Cory Booker has done nothing but use this city as a platform for his political ambitions. Newark is a city that needs leadership, and Booker has failed to do this. He has really done us a disservice, by choosing to use our city for his political gain. Time and time again he has failed to make the difficult decisions that would benefit the people of this city. It truly disappoints me that he is the alternative Lonegan. Come to Newark and speak to the people here and you will find that I am not alone in my feelings about Booker.

Oct. 16 2013 10:48 AM
John from Fanwood, NJ

Booker all the way. I could see Lonegan with Ted Cruz and that awful Alaskan creature saying lots of nonsensical things in front of like minded people. Seems to me that the cut, cut, cut Republicans should repeat freshman economics 101. Governments are NOT the same as families where spending and debt are concerned.

Oct. 16 2013 10:46 AM
Martha from Somerset county, NJ

I voted for Booker - I felt that if I didn't vote it would be a tacit acquiescence to the possibility that an avowed Tea Party representative could be elected. I agree with Gary Wills' comments in the Atlantic - these guys are secessionists, willing to undermine everything we stand for.

Oct. 16 2013 10:42 AM
Tariq from Manhattan

LOL. I have no skin in this game, but here is Brian's last minute advertisement for Booker in full wing. This had become the most predictable show or more precisely host as of late.

Oct. 16 2013 10:41 AM
Jennifer Tait

Can't vote until I get home from work tonight, but I'm so voting for Booker. Lonegan is just crazy. Besides, anyone who has someone robocall me TWICE on a Sunday morning and then twice again yesterday earns my wrath, not my vote. Especially when the whole call is against the Affordable Care Act.

Oct. 16 2013 10:41 AM
Syd UWS from New York City

Brian - That wasn't what Steve Lonegan said he bottom line was on the Sandy Bill. The bottom line was that we were going to borrow money and the money was't going to the people who need it!

Oct. 16 2013 10:41 AM

Booker.
I'm ashamed that some polls have the extreme righty radical trailing by only 10%. Makes me distrustful of my fellow citizens.

Oct. 16 2013 10:37 AM
Dan

"For the millions of Americans who love to dump on New Jersey, it's your lucky day. The state that brought you Paulie Walnuts, Snookie and the turnpike from hell has dropped another laughingstock into the national conversation. The unfathomable Steve Lonegan....Interestingly, in one of the most diverse states in the country, Lonegan has decided to run a campaign Archie Bunker would have been proud of."

"Steve Lonegan, the Great Embarrassment of New Jersey"
huffingtonpost.com/thomas-alter/steve-lonegan-campaign_b_4097317.html

Oct. 16 2013 10:35 AM
Sheldon from Brooklyn

In the end everything is about politics.

Mr. fiscally responsible Christie, thinks that it's OK, to waste NJ's taxpayers' money, --- holding a ridiculous special election, on a Wednesday, just to give his guy a better shot.

Oct. 16 2013 09:25 AM