Open Phones: The Most Interesting Thing That Happened To You

Wednesday, December 18, 2013

What's the most interesting thing that you did or that happened to you this year? Tell us a story. Fascinating things happen in our lives: things we generate and things we never expect. So what's the most interesting thing that you did or that happened to you in 2013? Post your comment here or call 212-433-WNYC, 212-433-9692.

News, weather, Radiolab, Brian Lehrer and more.
Get the best of WNYC in your inbox, every morning.

Janel Halpern from Manhattan

The most aggravating thing that happened to me this year was that I couldn’t tell Mr. Lehrer the most exciting thing because I couldn’t get the phone number in time. However, the best thing that happened to me this year was the that I had a book published, my first. Titled “Not the Met: Exploring the Smaller Museums Of Manhattan” it comprises descriptions of the 79 museums, I and my partner, who was the the photographer, visited over the course of two and a half years. Both of us are lifelong residents of New York City, and we were surprised and delighted by the many organizations that we had never even heard of. I thought it might be a wonderful opportunity to tell your many listeners, many of whom are probably museum goers, about the book and thus, perhaps enrich their lives as ours were. So many of the institutions we visited were inviting and exciting and we often felt like archeologists on a particularly rich dig.

Dec. 19 2013 04:38 PM

In 2013 I completed, produced, and performed in my very first solo show -- which is a 20-year dream-come-true.

I had taken some solo workshops back in the mid-90s, when I was acting, directing, writing, and producing with a theatre company, but nothing gelled. I figured it wasn't for me.

Then, in late 2000, I suffered a traumatic abdominal injury, surgery, and three herniated lumbar discs and quit theatre altogether.

After years of pilates and yoga, which didn't do much for me, I took a bellydance class; I learned that it was a dance by women FOR women, that had ancient roots in fertility rites, that continued into the 20th century in some Berber tribes.

Within months, my body began to heal and change.

The practice of deeply visceral movement and breath opened up new avenues of creativity. Not only did I start to dance professionally -- which was shocking given my age -- I went back into theater, improv, stand-up comedy (where I'd started) and began to draft the story of this remarkable transformation.

The result? Blood on the Veil: A Bellydancer's Journey Towards Healing, Transformation & the Divine Feminine. http://bloodntheveil.com

What started as a 10-minute piece flourished into a 2.5-hour spectacular, where dancers of many different shapes, ages, and backgrounds joined me on stage each week, showcasing their unique embodiment of this extraordinary dance.

Sadly, our budget only allowed shows on Sunday nights, but we still brought in increasingly large audiences -- many of whom had never seen a bellydance show. And we even got in a few reviews. (See http://reviewfix.com/2013/10/blood-on-the-veil-review-dancing-through-it-all/ )

We also toured the show to Orlando and San Francisco, where we will return in 2014.

With luck and some fundraising, we hope to do a full three-week run in the fall of 2014. Yalla!!

Dec. 18 2013 12:42 PM
John A

Arduino and Raspberry Pi computers.
They're super inexpensive and a fun way to teach tech, intended for children (12&up) but still fun for me.
It makes computers be like they were 1975-1990, open and less corporate owned (EG Verizon and your cellphone), and $50 and not $500. Recomended for any parent with a kid so inclined.

Dec. 18 2013 11:54 AM
Linda from Queens, N.Y.

SPENDING A BIRTHDAY CELEBRATION MAKING SUNDAES AT A FOOD BANK
My 99 1/2 year old mother (Ruth - a retired assistant principal in N.Y.C.) died this past May 31st.
I had planned on moping around on December 12th (the day we could've celebrated her birthday, if she had lived. She had explained (before passing) that we should learn to celebrate her life, nor morn.
My adult daughter "got it".
She invited us (my husband and I) to join her and our wonderful son-in-law and 2 grandsons to celebrate my mom's birthday at a food bank in Florida (where they live).
We arrived on 12/12/13 at 5 P.M. in time to set up our 125 Carvel sundaes (with each container holding either vanilla or chocolate) with my 8 and 10 year old grandson helping the diners enjoy the chocolate, sprinkles and whipped cream.
It was the way I intend to celebrate her birthday every year. I also am contemplating celebrating my birthdays exactly the same way - what a way to celebrate life, SHARING AND GIVING!
There was a feeling I have never experienced before. I understood the "we" and "they" and how much more we have to give back to others - who need that giving.
Thank you for allowing us to share.
Linda

Dec. 18 2013 11:46 AM
Stormy Perez from Brooklyn, NY

Man, I really wanted to say this on the radio! I could tell the lady that answered the phone was trying to rush me off--I am so sorry. I just really wanted to speak.

Most interesting thing that happened to me was that I realized I lacked Emotional Intelligence. Twenty-eight years old and struggling to make it in NYC. Working three jobs at a time (Enrichment Instructor, Small Business Owner, Front Desk Associate)I was going through life day by day not realizing why my needs weren't being met. I didn't know how to communicate my feelings! I am hard headed because I don't listen. I'm defensive to on-coming criticism because I don't sit on my feelings. I lacked the tools to complete the masterpiece, which was-- me. This light bulb, realization, slap upside the head has changed my life. IT has been if not the most crucial LIFE lesson I have ever taken.

Dec. 18 2013 11:27 AM
Stephanie H from Brooklyn

Back in the 80s I worked at a NYC-based, social services organization serving women and children. Each day as I arrived to work there was a guy who appeared to be homeless, who seemed to have several addictions. my friend and I tried to help him with getting him services, food, etc. He had his good days and bad ones (bad where he was a danger to himself and possible others, some days, he did not even recognize us). Once I moved on from that job -- I never saw this guy again. Fast forward to 2013, and on primary day, I went to my local voting place (a high school in Brooklyn) -- and I saw this guy directing people to the correct doors to enter the school. We looked at each other and I went in and voted. When I came out I looked at him again and he at me, and I said I know you. He said the same. After a few minutes I realized who he was -- he admitted to how messed up he was back in the day, but he said he never forgot that my friend and I tried to help him. He told me he was doing much better these days and we gave each other a hug. Best thing ever. A happy and a merry to all!

Dec. 18 2013 11:18 AM
Michael D. D. White from Brooklyn Heights

The most astounding thing that has happened to me this year. . . And I find it nearly impossible to believe that it has ONLY been this year, in fact LESS than a full year. . . My wife and I became co-founders of Citizens Defending Libraries to halt the sell-off (and shrinkage) of NYC libraries for real estate deals benefitting developers, not the public. See link to our web pages.

I remember ice skating in Bryant Park in 2012 thinking what a shame it was that the research stacks of the Central Reference Library were going to be ripped out for some modernist blech. Only after that did several things happen to bring things into focus and launch our campaign:

Ada Louise Huxtable wrote her very last column about how bad the plan was (followed by Michael Kimmelman), and

On January 29th 2013 they unveiled plans to sell of the Brooklyn Heights library before the end of Bloomberg's term.

The more we researched we realized that the Bloomberg had city-wide plans, long under wraps, dating back to at 2007 with the Donnell Library being sold first, to sell off libraries as real estate deals all over the city.

The rest, our standing with Bill de Blasio and Tish James and many others in opposition, the thousands of signatures on our petition is history!

Dec. 18 2013 11:07 AM
John Secor from Upper West Side

I volunteered for the French Institute: Alliance Française for Bastille Day. I met a lot of interesting people and that led me to participating in a performing arts project called "The Library" with Parisian artist Fanny de Chaillé for a week. I told a humorous story to about 30 different strangers in a one-on-one setting. It was one of the most interesting things ever!

Dec. 18 2013 11:05 AM
Sheldon from Brooklyn

Hmm, so shouldn't the caller just refute Christianity or religion in general. I'm not sure why he would be an atheist based on how poorly written the bible is.

Dec. 18 2013 11:05 AM
Nick from UWS

Jesus Christ....TMI. What the hell has happened to discretion and taste? Why do people insist on "sharing" this kind of stuff?

Dec. 18 2013 10:58 AM
Naoko from Japan

Hello from Osaka, Japan! I was a volunteer worker at a nursing home in Brooklyn in 2008. I revisited there this summer after 5 years and enjoyed our reunion so much! I hope the residents of the Brooklyn United Methodist Church Home are having a wonderful holiday time now! I'm thinking of you all!

Dec. 18 2013 10:28 AM